• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant for group of 30?

I'm planning a dinner for a group of about 30 people (all members of another web board I participate in) on Friday, May 6th at 7pm, and I'd like some advice re a good choice of restaurant. This isn't a fine dining crowd (the last get together was at Le Bifteque in Toronto), and something like Earl's would probably be fine, but I was hoping for something perhaps a little more interesting. Earl's-type pricing is about the range we're looking for. We'll be spending the day at the airport, so any location in Richmond or Vancouver is fine. Many people will be from out of town, so it would be nice to find a location that shows off Vancouver, but that isn't a hard and fast requirement.

HSG springs to mind (Neil, YGM) - any other ideas?

Edited by Vancouver Lee (log)

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I was at Sandbar the other night and there were a lot of large parties there. They have a lot of space (2 floors), so I think it might be good for your group of 30. Also, the Granville Island location is great for out-of towners since it is very representative of Vancouver. They have a large selection of tapas type of dishes and the entrees are not overly priced. Something to consider.

I was at Sandbar the other night and there were a lot of large parties there.  They have a lot of space (2 floors), so I think it might be good for your group of 30.  Also, the Granville Island location is great for out-of towners since it is very representative of Vancouver.  They have a large selection of tapas type of dishes and the entrees are not overly priced.  Something to consider.

Hey Shelley !

What up ?

All parties come to Neil's place !

Why are you pushing the Sandbar ? Any egulleters there ? I don't think so !

Out of towners love the Yaletown loading dock looking to another brick building view ! The ocean is sooooo over-rated. All that seafood ! Yuk !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

I'm planning a dinner for a group of about 30 people (all members of another web board I participate in) on Friday, May 6th at 7pm, and I'd like some advice re a good choice of restaurant.

There are other web boards?! :huh::laugh:

Hmmm. Venue for 30. No offense Shellback, but I'm not the biggest fan of Sandbar. Chalk it up to personal preference, though I will concede that the location is outstanding and very Vancouver-flattering. Since you're asking for suggestions other than the all-wonderful HSG, my picks would be Winebar at Fiction, The Alibi Room, Lucy Mae Brown and Zin Restaurant and Lounge. Food for thought if nothing else.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I was at Sandbar the other night and there were a lot of large parties there.  They have a lot of space (2 floors), so I think it might be good for your group of 30.  Also, the Granville Island location is great for out-of towners since it is very representative of Vancouver.  They have a large selection of tapas type of dishes and the entrees are not overly priced.  Something to consider.

Hey Shelley !

What up ?

All parties come to Neil's place !

Why are you pushing the Sandbar ? Any egulleters there ? I don't think so !

Out of towners love the Yaletown loading dock looking to another brick building view ! The ocean is sooooo over-rated. All that seafood ! Yuk !

:blush: You're right, I didn't see any egulleters there...

Hmmmm, I guess I was trying to find something that would fit Vancouver Lee's parameters of a place that could accomodate 30 people on a Friday night @ 7:00pm, not a "fine dining crowd" and "Earl-type pricing and style", somewhere between Richmond and Vancouver and would show-off the beauty of Vancouver.... somewhere "tourist" friendly.

For me, since I can enjoy scenic Vancouver anytime, my parameters might be a little different and I would probably choose another venue.... perhaps HSG??? :smile:

I would also agree that Zin and the Alibi Room would be suitable. If you're looking for Earl's type pricing, you could try out Relish or One Lounge. Neither showcases Vancouver's natural beauty but they are in the right price range and would be suitable for a large group. I've only been to the latter and it was decent. Cardero's and Steamworks are also not bad for large groups. Food quality will not necessarily be stellar but may suffice for a large group...

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I'll offer up a real darkhorse. If you want to stay REALLY close to the airport - there is always the Flying Beaver Pub. It is a Mark James restaurant - which is squarely in the Earl's zone of pricing.

Right on the river, with float planes coming and going, drunk stewardesses and airport workers.

I'll offer up a real darkhorse.  If you want to stay REALLY close to the airport - there is always the Flying Beaver Pub.  It is a Mark James restaurant - which is squarely in the Earl's zone of pricing. 

Right on the river, with float planes coming and going, drunk stewardesses and airport workers.

You know. that would fit right into the theme of the event...

This other web board is for frequent flyers, and is full of people who are just as obsessed about frequent flyer points, upgrades and airline schedules as everyone here is about food....hard to believe, I know. :laugh:

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions so far.

www.leecarney.com

There's another board that discusses Aeroplan with the same interest we have in frites? That is f'ed up. What the hell do you discuss? "You ever hop Delta #451 from YVR straight into O'Hare?" "Yeah, it's pretty good at the start, gets kinda dull over the Dakotas then totally rocks over Minnesota and Illionois. 1452 Skymiles, too."

There's another board that discusses Aeroplan with the same interest we have in frites? That is f'ed up. What the hell do you discuss? "You ever hop Delta #451 from YVR straight into O'Hare?" "Yeah, it's pretty good at the start, gets kinda dull over the Dakotas then totally rocks over Minnesota and Illionois. 1452 Skymiles, too."

Yep, pretty f'ed up indeed. You can see for yourself what goes on...

Clickity

As someone who travels extensively, the things I have learned from this forum have been invaluable....

www.leecarney.com

Yep, pretty f'ed up indeed.  You can see for yourself what goes on...

Clickity

As someone who travels extensively, the things I have learned from this forum have been invaluable....

From my Inbox this morning, it turns out I'm not the only eGulleter who posts on both boards.....Anybody else out the post on FlyerTalk as well?

www.leecarney.com

From my Inbox this morning, it turns out I'm not the only eGulleter who posts on both boards.....Anybody else out the post on FlyerTalk as well?

C'mon, fess up kids. There have to be more than 2 of us. If you don't pipe up, Lee and I are going to start posting about our airline dining experiences, little plastic knives and all!

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

C'mon, fess up kids. There have to be more than 2 of us. If you don't pipe up, Lee and I are going to start posting about our airline dining experiences, little plastic knives and all!

There's a thread about airline food on here somewhere, snacky_cat! I would link, but I don't remember where I saw it. :blush:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

i had a fairly large party (about 25-ish people) at jupiter cafe, which is a very funky little spot on davie street. the food is good and not too expensive (my favorite combo :wink: ) and the spotted prawn on hastings has always had a fairly big space and very good food but now the view is somewhat marred by the new shaw tower....

Thanks to everyone who posted ideas here. In the end, I decided on drinks at the Flying Beaver followed by dinner at the Hamilton Street Grill.

I know the dinner will be great, but I'll post a quick follow up next weekend on our experience at the Flying Beaver...

www.leecarney.com