• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New New-York Style Jewish Deli in Honolulu?

SuzySushi

A couple of days ago, my husband half-heard on the radio something about a new New York-style (Jewish) deli opening in Honolulu... he thinks it's supposed to be on Waialae near 11th Avenue in Kaimuki.

Was he dreaming or is it for real? Anyone know anything about this? The only references I can find online are to the old Bernard's deli in Kahala Mall, which has long been out of business.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Aloha SuzySushi - There is indeed a new deli in Kaimuki. They opened the end of March and while I'm no expert on what constitutes an authentic deli, I took a friend who does along for a brief Dine & Dash. You can read it here. A Taste of New York

We went back recently and their strong suit does seem to be the deli meats and sandwiches. A green salad I had was just average whereas the chicken salad sandwich was very good and reasonably priced. The big vats of pickles on each table are the worst kind of temptation too!

Edited by glossyp (log)

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

I also happened to stumble upon A Taste of New York just a couple of nights ago. I tend to look in that direction (up the street from Waialae on 11th Ave) every now and then in hopes of seeing a "Re-opening" sign for Sis Kitchen which is a loss I don' t think I'll ever get over.

Anyway, thought it was interesting. They are going for the "Stage Deli" theme where you order a sandwich with a famous name. In my opinon, the price is a bit high for what most people would want to pay for a sandwich (especially here) but these sandwiches are equivalent to at least twice the size of the "average" sandwich. The Ruben was very good. The bread was crisp on the outside, the meat was good, but it could have used a little more Russian Dressing.

I agree with you glossyp, I had the Caesar Salad and thought it could use a few improvements. Actually, I was impressed with the dressing itself. It had good zest and it was far better than most I've had at more up-scale restaurants. I was dissappointed that it was served on green leaf lettuce and probably wouldn't order it again unless I could request romaine. It's just not the same without that crunch and the acidity in Caesar dressing just destroys leaf lettuce.

Not sure if I liked the idea of having the pickels sitting on the table as a self-serve item either.

I would however, go back to try the other sandwiches and have the cheesecake.

Oooh... oooh!!! I think I'm in seventh heaven.

Last night, I was dreaming about a chopped chicken liver & tongue sandwich on a poppyseed kaiser roll... and that's before my husband told me there might be a new deli.

It's been a long time between deli foods. (The cheesecake i can make myself, but the meats...)

I'll report back on how authentically New Yawk it is!

SuzySushi

Back to report on A Taste of New York. :biggrin:

Some of it is very good indeed. As you reported, glossyp, the pastrami sandwich is excellent. My husband, a pastrami-lover from way back, was in beef heaven.

Not so the tongue, which was boiled instead of smoked (they couldn't get tongue from a deli supplier so prepared it themselves) and came out solidly brown instead of pink, with a strangely mushy texture like that of overcooked brisket. I was disappointed and told them so (and also told them what good tongue should taste like). Michelle, the owner, offered several times to replace it with something else, and I finally ordered half a pastrami sandwich to go, as I was already stuffed.

The owner and her husband are very gracious and eager to cultivate repeat business. I also gave them a list of other menu and take-out items I think they should carry (such as matzoh ball soup, knishes, whitefish chubs, Joyva jelly rings and halvah) as their present menu is limited.

The potato salad is another winner. The coleslaw needs a bit of work... maybe a dash more vinegar. I'll have to dig up my "New York Coleslaw" recipe and give it to them. I'm not a pickle fan, but my husband loved 'em.

The cheesecake is out-of-this-world fabulous and worth every penny! More than enough to share with two or three people.

Much to our delight, A Taste of New York also carries the Dr. Brown's line of sodas, including regular and diet Cel-Ray, Cream Soda, and Black Cherry. (I also recomended that they get Manhattan Special coffee sodas.)

We'll definitely be back again.... once we've digested this humongous meal.

SuzySushi

The potato salad is another winner. The coleslaw needs a bit of work... maybe a dash more vinegar. I'll have to dig up my "New York Coleslaw" recipe and give it to them.

Thanks for the report! Please do give them your coleslaw recipe as you are quite right it was boring and bland. Now you've got me thinking about that cheesecake again and I have to figure out how to get some soon. :wub:

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

Back to report on A Taste of New York.  :biggrin:

Some of it is very good indeed. As you reported, glossyp, the pastrami sandwich is excellent. My husband, a pastrami-lover from way back, was in beef heaven.

Not so the tongue, which was boiled instead of smoked (they couldn't get tongue from a deli supplier so prepared it themselves) and came out solidly brown instead of pink, with a strangely mushy texture like that of overcooked brisket. I was disappointed and told them so (and also told them what good tongue should taste like). Michelle, the owner, offered several times to replace it with something else, and I finally ordered half a pastrami sandwich to go, as I was already stuffed.

The owner and her husband are very gracious and eager to cultivate repeat business. I also gave them a list of other menu and take-out items I think they should carry (such as matzoh ball soup, knishes, whitefish chubs, Joyva jelly rings and halvah) as their present menu is limited.

The potato salad is another winner. The coleslaw needs a bit of work... maybe a dash more vinegar. I'll have to dig up my "New York Coleslaw" recipe and give it to them.  I'm not a pickle fan, but my husband loved 'em.

The cheesecake is out-of-this-world fabulous and worth every penny! More than enough to share with two or three people.

Much to our delight, A Taste of New York also carries the Dr. Brown's line of sodas, including regular and diet Cel-Ray, Cream Soda, and Black Cherry. (I also recomended that they get Manhattan Special coffee sodas.)

We'll definitely be back again.... once we've digested this humongous meal.

Are the owners the same people who own the Great Hawaiian Hot Dog stands?

Matzoh Ball has got to be one of my favorite soups! Was hoping they would serve that as well. I usually cheat and use box mix when I have my periodic cravings.

The custard part of the cheesecake was great. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the crust, it was somewhat charred and thought it was a little too thin.

Are the owners the same people who own the Great Hawaiian Hot Dog stands?

Not that I've been able to trace, unless the Great Hawaiian Hot Dog stands changed ownership...

The custard part of the cheesecake was great. The only thing I really didn't like about it was the crust, it was somewhat charred and thought it was a little too thin.

Hmmm... the crust on mine was fine, a cookie crust as opposed to the usual crumb crust. The owner says they use the Carnegie Deli recipe, and I believe her. (I've seen the Carnegie Deli recipe, or at least the one the NYC deli gives out publicly, and it's not easy to duplicate!)

SuzySushi