• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anti-solo diner policies in New York

Wilfrid

Perhaps, though it might be somewhat repetitive, we should establish a cognate thread that points out restaurants that are particualry solicituous or at least tolerant of solo diners.  Cefe Boloud has been mentioned on this thread.  Are there others?

I dine alone with considerable frequency. I have not perceived that I have been denied a reservation at any restaurant in France or the UK by reason of  being a solo diner. When I dine alone at the bar area of certain NYC restaurants, I have on occasion received unwelcome advances from neighborhoring diners (particularly if I have made an effort to look presentable after a day at work). They might offer me a glass of wine or champagne, which I decline while indicating the offer was kind. There is typically no effort by the neighbor beyond that.  I prefer to dine in non-bar areas of restaurants, but my schedule is not particularly predictable and I may have to resort to last-minute reservation requests or a first-come-first-served policy. I do not refuse gifted items from the sommelier team or the applicable restaurant, regardless of the motivations that might be behind the gift!

One reason that restaurants may have concerns about the economics associated with a solo diner is that the profit forgone is not only that attributable directly to the absence of the second diner. Restaurants may (inaccurately, in my case for some meals) perceive that a solo diner is not likely to order a bottle of wine. Given the poor selection of demi-bouteilles at many establishments, a solo diner may end up ordering wine by the glass, which may result in the purchase of less rarified wines.  :wink: I am not, of course, suggesting that disparate treatment of a solo diner for any reason is justified, merely that restaurants may be perceiving wine purchases as relevant.

A general question for all - when dining alone how do you amuse yourself?  Although I tend to take a book or newspaper with me but I often find that at night the lighting is too low for my poor eyes.  Does anyone have more ingenious ways occupy themselves?

I have no problems amusing myself at restaurants -- review of the menu and wine list in detail (including after I have ordered), observation of the decor and operations of the dining room team, and anticipating and, following tasting, contemplation of the dishes that arrive. I am attempting to become more knowledgeable about wine, and have been focusing more attention on that aspect of a meal.

I do not read materials during a meal, and only observe the clientele quickly for general overall impression. I would take notes if the restaurant is interesting enough for a write-up on the board.  :wink:

I also like watching the service in the restaurant, figuring out what they are doing and why.  I certainly watch the other customers too, and I also eavesdrop (why lie?).  I don't read in restaurants.  I do have a habit of reading in bars, which is why I wish that bars in New York would switch their lights on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to check out this book over the weekend:

"Table for One New York City - The Solo Diner's Restaurant Guide" by Michael Kaminer described at:

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksea....8006975

What especially interests me is the listing of the ten best and worst restaurants - "The Table for One Hall of  Fame and The Table for One Hall of Shame."

Sounds like fun reading.

Was that worth looking at Ruby?  Should I shell out my twelve bucks?

Wilfrid, I perused the book very quickly and went right to the Hall of Fame section - I immediately lost interest because one of the book's top ten recommendations for the solo diner is Eisenberg Sandwich Shop. Now, I know Eisenberg has a reputation for making a good tunafish sandwich but really: a coffee shop for the solo diner to make the top ten?

One restaurant that made the Hall of Shame was Viceroy in Chelsea. A comment something like "If you don't have a Chelsea Boy with you, don't go there; you'll be ignored."  I've had brunch and lunch at Viceroy with and without gay male friends and I was never ignored.

In all fairness, I didn't go through the whole book but I would have bought it if it had hit me right from the start.

Certainly doesn't sound very useful.  I was headed for Eisenberg's a few days ago, but my shopping bags got too heavy and I gave up.  Delicate flower that I am.  Still, I take your point.