• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South end of Vancouver

BCinBC

Keith’s horning in on Deborah’s thread totally rang true for me.

N and I have been in Marpole (near Cambie & 59th) for a year now, and have yet to experience a great restaurant meal here - by which I mean inside the rectangle bounded by Granville and Main, or even Fraser, and 33rd and Marine.

Not to say that there's nothing - we have had some good (but not great) dim sum and noodle house-type food. I'm thinking a place like Coco Pazzo, which wins the "best close" place award (yet still not in the rectangle). A bistro, or a nice sushi place... I would kill for a Salade de Fruits Part Deux.

What are we missing, if anything? Peppyre? Jamie? Anyone?

Well, if you can bear to head a little farther up Main there are some great restaurants. I should be getting my computer back tomorrow (Logic Board blew up...it's 5 mo old :angry: ) and I will post some links and as many other restaurants as my little brain can think of.

There are some great East Indian places in that quadrant - especially if you include Fraser street. I agree with Peppyre, further north on Main has many good spots - incluidng Long's Noodle House ... wait there is a thread on this (I seem to recall).

If I'm staying in the hood, I would do Long's or the Main or the Reef on Main - still south of King Ed. Or for East Indian one of the places on Fraser - there are a few or Himilaya on Main Street. There is nothing that I know of on Cambie and or Granville that I can recommend - except Koni Fine Foods which is not a restaurant.

Have you tried any of the lonely looking places almost on Marine? Somehow I haven't. Usually if eating close to home I cook and if going out I don't mind driving somewhere - e.g. to town. Face it we are almost in the burbs!

Hi Brian,

We live around 59th and Cambie too. You're right, there doesn't seem to be too many choices - especially places like Salade de Fruits, Parkside or Cru.

Here are some places that we freqent: Japone for Japanese tapas and sushi (Oak and 61 Ave), Au Petit Cafe (Vietnamese) and Sawadee (Thai) on Main Street, Kun Lock (Chinese) and Kedah House (Malaysian) on Fraser and Flamingo (dim sum) on Cambie.

Let me know of anywhere else in the neighbourhood that is worth trying.

Keith - thanks for the reminder. Japone has the combination of rep and bizarre location that I was looking for. Maybe tonight.

SC - it's true we are in the Vancouver 'burbs. God was I relieved when Koni opened, it was like the sun came up on Granville and 70th. Edited to add: tried Panos the Greek place for lunch, it was okay but damned busy so I think we'll try again for dinner. On Marine near Fraser.

Shelly - we went to Flamingo for dim sum a couple weekends ago, and didn't like it that much (other than N prefers carts to cards). The beef balls (not to be confused with elk balls) were greasy, instead of light and slightly crunchy with water chestnuts and cilantro. We like the place in Oakridge for dim sum - the only thing is, the order form is in Chinese (which I can't read, so I reuse an old form with a couple translations on it). Another place, almost as good but more expensive, is the Granville Seafood Restaurant or whatever it's called at 64th or so. Great seafood dumplings (har gow etc), okay everything else. Thanks for the other suggestions, Kedah is coming up soon I think.

Keep 'em coming people, if there are any others to be had!

Edited by BCinBC (log)

Thanks to Keith’s (and Shellback’s) reminder of its existence, we tried Japone last night for the first time. I read about this place once upon a time in VanMag (though I can’t recall if Jamie wrote the piece or not, please don’t revoke my eG hat) and have meant to try it, but for some reason just plain forgot.

For those of you unaware of the location, if you have ever driven to the ferries, you have most likely unwittingly passed by Japone. It is in the strip mall on the south end of Oak beside the Dan-Dee Market. :huh:

Anyway, the food. Since this was our first visit, I wanted to stick to the basics; however, I could not resist one item off the rather extensive fresh sheet – the jellyfish with kimchi. As it turns out, I much prefer the dim sum version of jellyfish (with sesame oil and a bit of pepper flakes), because the spice of the kimchi totally overpowered the extremely delicate flavour of the jellyfish. Still they had a lot of other interesting stuff on there that I'll try next time.

To follow we had agadashi tofu (because N really likes it), veg tempura (really crisp but non-greasy, and the shredded onion “clumps” instead of big ass “rings” provided a really soft and pleasant flavour), dynamite and spicy tuna rolls (both much better than average, esp the spicy tuna mmmm), and assorted nigiri: N had ebi and that one inside the tofu pouch, name escapes me; I had salmon which was almost the colour of overripe strawberries and absolutely delicious, amaebi – sooooo creamy good that it led me to believe I’ve never had proper amaebi before, scallop – okay but at the back of the pack here, and unagi with a beautiful crispy skin and really nice balance of flavour. The eye candy value of the salmon and unagi alone was worth the visit. Highlights definitely were the sushi and the tempura. And the actual price, with a beer, was totally reasonable at $42 all-inclusive except tip.

Last night it was running about 40% full, but I bet weekends are busy. One word of warning: the service is extremely laid back, so if you are also laid back then everything will be Fonzie (cool-a-mundo). However, if you are on any sort of schedule then you probably want to save this for another time. Despite its weird location, or in our case because of it, Japone really works!

If its any consillation, I leave even MORE isolated at Victoria and Marine :biggrin: I understand your need to find close food.

BC in BC- The greek place of which you speak is DEAD at dinner (which has always scared me...we have been, and the food was just okay when we were there, but that was a few months ago).

The giant Chinese restaurant next to it (Wonton King I think) is supposed to be quite good...but we haven't been yet, so don't quote me. It is ALWAYS full!

Now, for a lunchy atmosphere a bit more east from you, Pocions on Marine just east of Victoria is interesting. Homemade polish specialities (the pear cake is stuff that dreams are made of), and very OBVIOUSLY homemade...not pretty to look at, a bit lopsided...but tasty. The coffee is pretty good, and the perogies, when they have the blueberry ones, are killer. The potato cheese ones aren't bad either. A darn good grilled cheese as well, but I always ask for no mayo (unless you like mayo on your grilled cheese? Some do...my mom ALWAYS puts it on hers, and she can usually be a really good cook! :huh:).

Be warned however. REALLY relaxed service. But the food is nice and unpretentious, and great for a grey vancouver afternoon!!!

I too am interested to find things in this neighbourhood...and I sense an adventure to Japone for M and I in the near future!!!! Thanks for the recommendation all of you!!!

If you like Fish and Chips, try the King's Fare on W. 73 between Oak and Granville. Fish and Chips...yum...haven't tried Go Fish yet, so I can't compare...but I quite like the King's Fare. I know that Jamie has done a review, so he can offer his 2 cents on the comparison of the 2. THey have only 2 kinds of beer-light and dark- and that just makes me laugh :biggrin: Nice atmosphere, and if he is still with us, they have a big old golden lab outside the door waiting for free belly rubs.

Japone is, doubtless, one of my favourite places to eat in South Vancouver. Last time we dined there was in January with Jeffy Boy and lemon curd, far too long ago. Here's a summary of our omakase dining experience. Glad you enjoyed your meal Brian!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Now, for a lunchy atmosphere a bit more east from you, Pocions on Marine just east of Victoria is interesting.  Homemade polish specialities (the pear cake is stuff that dreams are made of), and very OBVIOUSLY homemade...not pretty to look at, a bit lopsided...but tasty.  The coffee is pretty good, and the perogies, when they have the blueberry ones, are killer.  The potato cheese ones aren't bad either.  A darn good grilled cheese as well, but I always ask for no mayo (unless you like mayo on your grilled cheese? Some do...my mom ALWAYS puts it on hers, and she can usually be a really good cook! :huh:).

Nothin' wrong with mayo on almost anything! :biggrin:

For a lunchy atmosphere ... um, this may be a stoopid question, but are they open for LUNCH? I have a job going right around the corner from them and am always looking for lunch options (ask anyone :rolleyes: )

A.

sasskitty: thanks for the tips. N loves fish & chips so we will definitely try the King's Fare. Also I noticed people in the Chinese place when we were at the Greek place. Now I'm a little less apprehensive...

Moosh: as we were leaving I was totally thinking that Japone would be a great omakase place - almost or possibly? as good as Tojo but at a fraction of the cost. Only problem is N is too picky for this, so if you and Ian are up for it (or anyone else out there) then just let me know when!

D-A: mayo on grilled cheese?!? Where is the :ralphing: emoticon?

Also I noticed people in the Chinese place when we were at the Greek place. Now I'm a little less apprehensive...

Wonton King? Total gang hangout. I just found out that Mooshmouse was in a Asian girl gang in high school. Just ask her. Testify!

For Chinese - how about Golden Swan on on Victoria. Very old school chinese family sort of place (not adventurous I am afraid). There is also a Chinese place on Fraser and 41st - in a mini mall right accross the street from Church's Fried Chicken (mmmmmm...).

It looks freaky and you will have to be careful of the doggy land mines from the vet's office in the same mall. But they have a good Chinese chicken salad (stop snickering) and crispy skin chicken.

In the Langara towers was the first time I had HK style western food. The restaurant was called "the Langara" and was wierdly fancy. Baked pork chop rice - which was friend pork chop over fried rice smothered in onions and ketchup sauce.

Edited to correct address.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Wonton King?  Total gang hangout.  I just found out that Mooshmouse was in a Asian girl gang in high school.  Just ask her.  Testify!

For Chinese - how about Golden Swan on on Victoria.  Very old school chinese family sort of place (not adventurous I am afraid).  There is also a Chinese place on Fraser and 49th - in a mini mall right accross the street from Church's Fried Chicken (mmmmmm...). 

Yeah, right. Me and my brass knuckles. Can't you just see it now?

Golden Swan on Victoria does good "old-school" dim sum as you say canucklehead... it's always packed on weekend mornings. There's also a place on Fraser Street, kitty corner from where Flamingo is, that has good cheap dim sum. Equally packed. Some of the best ma lai goh (help me with the spelling!) anywhere.

And Wonton King was always the place to go for wonton mein after a night of dancing and drinking... trying to stave off the hangovers with a good dose of salt, starch and MSG always worked!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

For a lunchy atmosphere ... um, this may be a stoopid question, but are they open for LUNCH?  I have a job going right around the corner from them and am always looking for lunch options (ask anyone :rolleyes: )

Not a stupid question AT ALL!!!!! :biggrin: Yes, they are open for lunch...be warned however...REALLY SLOW SERVICE:):) Really friendly though, which seems to make up for it!

Tell me how it is! I haven't been by in a couple of months or so, and I feel bad (they don't get alot of customers, so they remember EVERYONE, and I always feel guilty after an extended absense...note to self...lunch on SAturday...) I you enjoy it...( I always feel intimidated making egullet recommendations...I quake in fear actually :blush: )

Won Ton King a gang hang out? COOL! I have ALWAYS wanted to join a gang...this might be my opportunity!!! :laugh:

And BC in BC...um yeah...I am with you with the grilled cheese on mayo :wacko:

Cheers

Erin

Also I noticed people in the Chinese place when we were at the Greek place. Now I'm a little less apprehensive...

Wonton King? Total gang hangout. I just found out that Mooshmouse was in a Asian girl gang in high school. Just ask her. Testify!

The spate of gang shootings in the 90s coupled with my Mother's overdeveloped sense of, well, motherliness, instilled a false "paranoia" about Asian gang restaurants. As a result, to this day, I choose to sit facing the door whenever I can. Not because I think I'm gonna get shot up, but because hey if it happens at least I'll be ready to dive under formica.

I've been curious about the Langara Gardens restaurant for a while. Still I remain unsure, as I am not a fan of HK style western food. For example, I mock the name "Cafe Glouchester" all the time even though I never eat there (once I stopped out of curiousity, but just ordered mango ice cream). It seems so weirdly HK, like (again a 90s reference) those jackets people used to wear that said weird shit like "High Rollers Club" on the back.

Wonton King?  Total gang hangout.  I just found out that Mooshmouse was in a Asian girl gang in high school.  Just ask her.  Testify!

The spate of gang shootings in the 90s coupled with my Mother's overdeveloped sense of, well, motherliness, instilled a false "paranoia" about Asian gang restaurants. As a result, to this day, I choose to sit facing the door whenever I can. Not because I think I'm gonna get shot up, but because hey if it happens at least I'll be ready to dive under formica.

Me? High school in the 90s? Gee, thanks for thinking I'm that young! :wink::biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

I am not a fan of HK style western food. For example, I mock the name "Cafe Glouchester" all the time even though I never eat there (once I stopped out of curiousity, but just ordered mango ice cream). It seems so weirdly HK, like (again a 90s reference) those jackets people used to wear that said weird shit like "High Rollers Club" on the back.

I think those jackets with interesting messages actually came from Japan back in the 80s and became rather popular in Taiwan and HK. The humour is not unlike Chinese characters on Kung-Fu/Bruce Lee era T-shirts back in the 70s.

HK style western food is definitely an acquired taste. You have to at least try before criticizing! The rice from the "baked pork-chop rice" at Gloucester is perfectly al dente, if you add a touch of extra ketchup, the dish is hard to beat. In fact, Gloucester serves one of the best rice in town, slightly chewy to the bite with elegant texture and aroma. Gloucester's "deep fried prawns" are also very good and if you're adventurous, try out their "yin/yang fried rice".

The "minced beef with sunny side egg on rice" is another classic at iCafe (W8th & Cambie). Perhaps too heavy for some, but again, if you add a dash of ketchup to break the grease, the dish is quite good before or after serious drinking/partying.

Lots of reasons to go for HK style western food if you can look beyond the decor, service and often language barrier. Excellent value, long hours, they also have these fancy strong iced tea with generous portion of lemon slices.

In fact, there are lots of these interesting casual Asian/western 'fusion' restaurants in Vancouver. Another good one to try out is Yoshoku Ya on Denman (across from Cafe de Paris). Their Japanese style curry and Om rice (omelette rice) are truly first class.

HK style western food is definitely an acquired taste.  You have to at least try before criticizing!  The rice from the "baked pork-chop rice" at Gloucester is perfectly al dente, if you add a touch of extra ketchup, the dish is hard to beat.  In fact, Gloucester serves one of the best rice in town, slightly chewy to the bite with elegant texture and aroma.  Gloucester's "deep fried prawns" are also very good and if you're adventurous, try out their "yin/yang fried rice".

Mangez, you are absolutely right. If/when I try the food, I will post my impressions of it. My :huh: reaction was to the restaurant's name itself.

Their yin/yang fried rice - is it not the regular tomato-based chicken side, cream-based shrimp side concoction? I ask because you mention adventurousness, and thought that maybe they did something different. And if it's even better than the original, that would draw me into the joint (despite the name :laugh: ).

HK style western food is definitely an acquired taste.  You have to at least try before criticizing!  The rice from the "baked pork-chop rice" at Gloucester is perfectly al dente, if you add a touch of extra ketchup, the dish is hard to beat.  In fact, Gloucester serves one of the best rice in town, slightly chewy to the bite with elegant texture and aroma.  Gloucester's "deep fried prawns" are also very good and if you're adventurous, try out their "yin/yang fried rice".

Mangez, you are absolutely right. If/when I try the food, I will post my impressions of it. My :huh: reaction was to the restaurant's name itself.

Their yin/yang fried rice - is it not the regular tomato-based chicken side, cream-based shrimp side concoction? I ask because you mention adventurousness, and thought that maybe they did something different. And if it's even better than the original, that would draw me into the joint (despite the name :laugh: ).

Hey BCinBC, do try it out (disclaimer, no connection with Gloucester Cafe)!

Yes, the Yin/Yang rice is the same as you described. I wasn't sure if you're familiar with such a unique tomato meets cream dish therefore the warning. The tomato chicken side has a good sour bite to it, and the creamy side is also relatively rich and tasty. However, I wish they would have marinated the prawns more as while they're firm in texture (and also of a good size), you need to mix the prawns with the tomato/chicken side as the prawns are tasteless by themselves.

Mind you, must try to finish the yin/yang rice in one go as the dish does not taste half as good once you have taken it home. The cream sauce somehow disintegrates when you reheat it.

If you like heavily marinated prime rib with a good gravy, they also serve interesting prime ribs on Fridays and Saturdays. You won't believe they have long lineups and their meat will be sold out by 8pm!

Went to King's Fare last Friday for dinner - holy cow if you need a trowel full of plaque for your aorta walls, this is the place to go. Sadly there was no big dog outside, but there were some smokers who I guess figured their hearts weren't straining hard enough from the food. :raz:

I had a pint of "light" (I think it was Pilsner while the "dark" was Cantebury) while N had a bottle of Kokanee, and we had a half-order of mushroom caps to start. Now I thought I was going to get some stuffed mushroom caps, but silly me, we got a plate full of deep fried mushrooms with ranch dipping sauce. They tasted fine, not really mushroomy but more of that deep fried ball of goodness taste. I also had a cup of the red chowder, which was quite good. Not greasy!

Then we both had a one-piece halibut (fresh that day!) and chips: great. Crispy chips. The slaw truly was a garnish, just shredded cabbage etc in Kraft English Cream dressing. Then I had a chocolate sundae for dessert (in this case Hershey chocolate sauce).

The guy who runs the place is super nice and I would recommend the place, but only with the strong suggestion that you stick to the fish and chips and chowder. Do not stray if you fear angioplasty!

Speaking of which, if you were to the corner store two doors down and get a Mars bar, I bet they'd be happy to supply the batter and oil to fry that sucker up.

• 2 weeks later...
The "minced beef with sunny side egg on rice" is another classic at iCafe (W8th & Cambie).  Perhaps too heavy for some, but again, if you add a dash of ketchup to break the grease, the dish is quite good before or after serious drinking/partying.

BCinBC

So did you take the plunge and try the HK Western thing? I checked out mangez's recommendation and went to iCafe (on Cambie and 8th) - and it is probably the best one that I have been too (except places in Richmond - full disclosure - my Aunt owns La Amigo).

The prices were decent and it is very western friendly. Menus where nicely designed and had lots of english. My brother had Portugese Chicken - which is a very mild chicken curry - usually with alot of coconut milk. I had the baked seafood rice which had a nice crust and lots of squid. It is, however, covered with an onion-cheese white sauce that you will find either comforting (I do) or bland and mucous-y.

Have fun with trying it out - it's only food and not pricey. Dinner for two with their version of bortch and two cold (non-alcoholic) drinks for $32 tax and tip included.

- my Aunt owns La Amigo).

This the place on Alexandera between Maks noodles and Seto Sushi? If so, please explain. We've always been fascinated by the chinese propreitors serving westernized food to a chinese clientele in a mexican motif. Talk about fusion. Why Amigo? And what should I eat there. I'll admit to being a big sissy and being afraid to try it. I'd gladly give it a go if someone explained the concept, and gave a few ordering principles to follow. And being that it's full disclosure day, I'll admit to thinking that HK style western food is horrible. So no baked spagethi with portugese chicken.

And we ate next door to the place last night at the Honmyi (sp?) cafe. Bills itself as a pan asian bistro. Typical attempts everything, master of nothing, yet we continue to return. Always busy, cheap. We refer to it as "Chinese Earls" because that's what it resembles inside, and certainly seems to fill that niche with the asian populace.

- my Aunt owns La Amigo).

This the place on Alexandera between Maks noodles and Seto Sushi? If so, please explain. We've always been fascinated by the chinese propreitors serving westernized food to a chinese clientele in a mexican motif. Talk about fusion.

.... And being that it's full disclosure day, I'll admit to thinking that HK style western food is horrible. So no baked spagethi with portugese chicken.

Dude

I was hoping you would not call me out on this.

First off - it is named La Amigo after a very old school (probably the first) french restaurant in HK. So the name has a good connotation.

Secondly - I agree with you that for the most part - HK Style Western food is terrible. I think that the first western food in HK was made to serve the British (strike ONE) bueraucrats (strike TWO) and then the locals got a hold of it and tried to make it fancy (strike THREE!). It is basically glorified canteen food. Lots of bland sauces (water-based vs stock based), frozen veggies find their way into everything, and over cooked meat.

For a first try at the genre - I would stick to a baked rice dish (be it seafood or pork chop) - the rice part of the dish is usually fried and handled well. A set meal will come with a soup starter - stick with the HK version of borcht - a soft bun, and a hot drink. If you are super adventurous - try the HK style tea - which is like crazy sweet version of tea and cream (and it comes with LOT's of cream). Otherwise lemon iced tea is actually very good - real tea, lots of lemon, sweetened with a simple syrup.

In my Aunt's defence - she does not cop out on sourcing and the raw materials are always top notch. The prices are not super cheap if you get a steak or lamb chop (but after you go to HSG - what is done to good beef in these places will make you cry).

Keith - you probably consume more Chinese food then most Chinese people I know. I am sure that your MSG blood count is off the charts.

Edited to add: Even the RCMP don't eat there anymore - and my aunt gives them a steep discount when they come in (to show her appreciation for the fine police force - no special favors - unless you cross her favorite nephew).

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Canuckle,

No I haven't taken the plunge yet. I know, I should be tearing down these walls not putting them up! But the impression I have is similar to Keith's I think: overfusion. Well, that and when I hear baked pork chop on rice I start to think Shake N Bake because that's what we would have had as kids.

Having said all that I do want to try the minced beef with egg on rice, because unless they add bacon on there I don't think they could create a more cholesterol-centric plate. I bet they also add token frozen peas too, to assuage the guilt.

Maybe tonight, as the wife is not around so I won't subject her to the insanity...

Having said all that I do want to try the minced beef with egg on rice, because unless they add bacon on there I don't think they could create a more cholesterol-centric plate. I bet they also add token frozen peas too, to assuage the guilt.

Brian, the beauty of a dish like this is something only an Asian person (or someone like Keith Talent) could truly understand. :hmmm::blink::laugh:

Make sure to bring a bottle of Lipitor with you.

Joie Alvaro Kent