• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bagels in Town?

I am having a brunch get together at my place this Sunday for my friends and was planning to serve bagels and cream cheese (along with other breakfast items). I usually get my bagels at Benny's Bagels but was wondering if there are other bagel places that people would recommend? Would consider venturing into the 'burbs if necessary.

Many thanks!

I dunno ... Solly's is good, no doubt. But I enjoy Siegel's as much as Solly's. Sure, Solly's (off Main) "feels" better as a bakery, in an authentic kinda way. Bagel vs. bagel, last time I checked it was a draw.

A.

Yet another vote for Solly's. I've done a side by side with bagels brought from Montreal and Solly's held their own. The location off Main tends to be a bit better than the one on Broadway.

I've had both Siegel's and Solly's and like them equally. Maybe you could have a taste test at your brunch on Sunday, Tough Cookie :biggrin:

This thread reminds me that I want to try Benny's again as I used to quite like their bagels about 18 years or so ago, but that was before either of the S's were on the scene.

And, isn't there a place in North Van that has good bagels? Thought I read a review somewhere or other a while ago (maybe even a year or so). Perhaps it no longer exists :unsure: )

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

And, isn't there a place in North Van that has good bagels?  Thought I read a review somewhere or other a while ago (maybe even a year or so). Perhaps it no longer exists :unsure: )

Mont Royal Bagel Factory? Their bagels are quite good, though I've never had theirs fresh out of the oven. I Love Bagels (on Lonsdale) used to be good, but they changed ownership and we stopped going there.

I've been a fan of Siegel's ever since they opened their shop just off the Burrard St. Bridge, although I rarely make my way out there now.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I've had both Siegel's and Solly's and like them equally.  Maybe you could have a taste test at your brunch on Sunday, Tough Cookie  :biggrin: 

This thread reminds me that I want to try Benny's again as I used to quite like their bagels about 18 years or so ago, but that was before either of the S's were on the scene.

Actually, that is a great idea. Will report back next week! :smile:

Benny's is not bad, the convenience factor for me is big.

I've had both Siegel's and Solly's and like them equally.  Maybe you could have a taste test at your brunch on Sunday, Tough Cookie  :biggrin: 

Actually, that is a great idea. Will report back next week! :smile:

So.... bagel tasting brunch at your place on Sunday... when should we all be there?

"kidding" :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

This is my first post, so i guess i'm getting the proverbial cherry popped.

In my opinion the best bagels in town are ranked as follows

1. Mont royal bagels (they have the right combination of stiffness on the outside and chewiness on the inside)

2. Solly's (for the same reason however sometimes they can be dried out a little)

3. Siegals (although sometimes they can be too chewy inside

the bagels listed above are all renditions of a montreal bagel.

if you want something that draws a very good line between a true bagel and a breadel (shaped like a bagel tastes like bread, see great canadian bagel) then try PHAT in yaletown they make a bagel that is from toronto called gryfes, soft enough to toast nicely and firm enough to carry toppings. Plus they actually taste like a bagel, personally i'm partial to the pumpernickle bagel.

have a great brunch

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

If you're on the North Shore, there's a place on 12th just a few steps east of Lonsdale that makes a seriously good bagel. I can't remember the name of the shop, but I do know they provide Whole Foods with their bagels.

Paul B

Paul B

If you're on the North Shore, there's a place on 12th just a few steps east of Lonsdale that makes a seriously good bagel.  I can't remember the name of the shop, but I do know they provide Whole Foods with their bagels.

Paul B

That would be I Love Bagels. As I mentioned, they changed ownership a few years back, but I haven't tasted any of their bagels recently.

If you're on the North Shore, there's a place on 12th just a few steps east of Lonsdale that makes a seriously good bagel.  I can't remember the name of the shop, but I do know they provide Whole Foods with their bagels.

Paul B

I think that is mont royal.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Paul B

Mount Royal Bagel Factory (I got the name wrong) is on 701 Queensbury Ave.

I Love Bagels is at 105 E. 12th, just off Lonsdale.

Paul B

Mount Royal Bagel Factory (I got the name wrong) is on 701 Queensbury Ave.

I Love Bagels is at 105 E. 12th, just off Lonsdale.

thnk

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

Reporting back...

The bagels were a hit at the brunch! I went in early Sunday morning and bought a selection from both Siegel's and Solly's (plain, sesame, whole wheat, cinnamon raison and blueberry). Given that there were other goodies besides the bagels, I only compared the plain bagels. The Siegel's was a bit thinner, the Solly's thicker and slightly heavier. The insides of both bagels were chewy but I found the Siegel's bagel to be sweeter (too sweet for my preference but once toasted and with cream cheese, not much of a difference).

I have not been to Montreal so I can't say how they would compare but do prefer Solly's over Siegel's. However, there are more varieties at Siegel's and their Kits location is open 24 hours so next time I have a craving for bagels at 2 am, you know where to find me! I wonder if it is the bagel I crave or the creamcheese?! :raz:

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Edited by Tough Cookie (log)

I've been buying bagels at Kaplans Deli almost my entire life. They are also available at Omnitzky Kosher Deli and in my opinion, they are the best bagels in the city (though i am biased).

They are made by Garden City Bakery in Richmond at a kosher facility. They range in size, but are usually on the smaller side. They are very delicious. Chewy but not the least bit heavy. Delicious!

Thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try next time I'm in the neighborhood.

i would actually recommend going to omnitzky (its on cambie just south of 41st) because they tend to have a fresher selection of bagels. AND great 99cent hot dogs.

Omnitzky's prepares the kosher meals for Air Canada flights. The next time you fly on Air Canada, I would recommend that you pre-order the kosher meal. I think it's better than the regular Air Canada food.

Thanks for the suggestion - will give it a try next time I'm in the neighborhood.

i would actually recommend going to omnitzky (its on cambie just south of 41st) because they tend to have a fresher selection of bagels. AND great 99cent hot dogs.

Omnitzky's prepares the kosher meals for Air Canada flights. The next time you fly on Air Canada, I would recommend that you pre-order the kosher meal. I think it's better than the regular Air Canada food.

What sorts of dishes do they usually prepare? i tend to bring my own food if i fly air canada b/c the food is so terrible. i would imagine the omnitzky food is still not that great?