• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef & Tomato

Dejah

One of my daughter's favourite foods is tomatoes...in BLTs, salads, soup, but most of all, beef and tomatoes stir-fried with strips of fried eggs over rice. In fact, she doesn't even want rice! :rolleyes: I love it over steamed rice.

So, how do you cook yours? What do you use to produce the perfect balance of sweet and tanginess? Do you add Spanish onion? green onions? ginger? vinegar? sugar?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

One of my daughter's favourite foods is tomatoes...in BLTs, salads, soup, but most of all, beef and tomatoes stir-fried with strips of fried eggs over rice. In fact, she doesn't even want rice! :rolleyes:  I love it over steamed rice.

So, how do you cook yours? What do you use to produce the perfect balance of sweet and tanginess? Do you add Spanish onion? green onions? ginger? vinegar? sugar?

My famly makes a watery version of tomatoes, eggs, and ground beef or pork. It is basically lots of tomatoes cooked with ginger until they are soft, then add lots of brown sugar block and ketchup :shock:. At the end, stir fried eggs and ground meat are added. I've discovered to create the familar taste, use only 2 large tomatoes per dish and add lots of ketchup. I like this dish quite a lot and drink it like a thick soup.

My family's recipe (consequently mine, now ;) ) is basically:

Ginger

5~6 beefsteak tomatoes

1~1.5lb. Flank steak

Brown "candy"

3 eggs, beaten

First the flank steak is sliced, then marinated in the standard cornstartch/soy. Afterwards, it's stir-frying. The meat is reserved, then the tomatoes are cooked till watery, and everything else goes in.

Eggs & ginger! Lots of ginger must be used. But it must be finely shredded - whisper thin. None of this julienne business. (Who the hell does that to ginger anyways?! I digress...)

We make it puply but watery - not thickened with cornstarch. It's great comfort food. My pops does it with white sugar. I wonder what it would taste like with cane sugar. Hmmm. Some ground beef or pork tastes great as well but this is one of the very few dishes this meat eatin' girl will take without any meat.

Eggs & ginger!  Lots of ginger must be used.  But it must be finely shredded - whisper thin.  None of this julienne business.  (Who the hell does that to ginger anyways?!  I digress...)

We make it puply but watery - not thickened with cornstarch.  It's great comfort food.  My pops does it with white sugar.  I wonder what it would taste like with cane sugar.  Hmmm.  Some ground beef or pork tastes great as well but this is one of the very few dishes this meat eatin' girl will take without any meat.

Since my sister hates ginger (who didn't when they were younger?), ginger is sliced rather thickly. I like the taste of brown sugar better than white. White sugar was used when we lacked the foresight to check the pantry.

I forgot that recipegullet is back. Awesome. I just fixed up the recipe to make it more readable. Thanks, Marlene.

Firm tomatoes cut into largish chunks, sliced flank steak marinaded in soy, ginger and garlic, a few onion slices, a few celery slices, salt, some sugar, ketchup, thicken with a raw egg, top off with scallions. Can't type this without drooling. :wub:

OK, here's the Toisan loh coming out, I love eating this on top of rice, BUT, I always like a piece of really smelly salt fish or a cube of fuyu alongside whenever I eat this. :rolleyes: Don't ask!!!

My version is much like Ben's, except no ketchup or celery. I prefer flank steak to ground.

I have finally got the sugar and vinegar balanced. There is still some adjustment depending on the ripeness of the tomatoes. I usually want them red but firm. I'll have to try the brown sugar method.

The eggs are usually beaten then fried into a large pancake. Then they are cut into longish pieces and added at the last minute. Love lots of long pieces of green onions and julienned ginger. :raz: .

On top of rice, it's gotta be "thickened" so it has that velevty mouthfeel.

I swear my Mom used to add ketchup, but she's changed in the last couple years. Who's to argue with a 95 year old kitchen prima donna? :laugh:

Ben, is there anything you eat without fu yu? :blink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Ginger

5~6 beefsteak tomatoes

1~1.5lb. Flank steak

Brown "candy"

3 eggs, beaten

First the flank steak is sliced, then marinated in the standard cornstartch/soy. Afterwards, it's stir-frying. The meat is reserved, then the tomatoes are cooked till watery, and everything else goes in.

Transparent,

What do you mean by brown "candy?" Do you mean brown sugar? :wacko:

Catherine

:wacko:

To the best of my knowledge the most popular renditions of "Beef and Tomato" traditionally served by "Toysan" Chinese Cooks in the USA comes from NYC and Honolulu.

The NYC version goes back to the early 1900's and is still served at many Restaurants. known as "Pepper Steak".

Made up of a combination of "Sliced Beef Flank, Hanging Tender or Skirt Steak sliced diagonally. Sliced Green Peppers, 1/4 wedges ripe tomato's, Sliced Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Broth [Chicken necks & backs + Pork Bones], Baking Soda, Corn Starch, White Pepper with optional handful of Bean Sprouts, sometimes Ketchup, Soy Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Brown or Cane Sugar, Sherry, Rice Wine. Oil or Lard, Spring Onions, Leaf Parsley.

If anyone requires a recipe I will be glad to post one for this as well as the Honolulu version that follows. The options reflect that this dish with variations eventually became a standard dish served at local Chinese Style Restaurants everywhere in the USA and Canada.

In Honolulu and all the Islands almost every Restaurant be in Okinawan, Hawaiian, Chinese and often local style American serves this dish, generally over Rice.

The standard ingredients: "Sliced Beef Flank", Quartered Wedges of Tomato's, Sliced Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Corn Starch, Baking Soda, Soy Sauce, Broth, White Pepper, Ketchup, Chili Water, Oyster Sauce, Oil or Lard, Spring Onions.

Another adaption served in Honolulu and the Philippines is called "Manado" very similar except the Meat is diced in chunks, and Potatoes are added it's served slowly finished by braising over Rice. The longer cooking makes the Gravy very tasty.

I do remember it being served in a similar fashion in Hong Kong as "Hawaiian Beef Tomato" the only Beef, Tomato dish that seemed popular was a variation of Beef, Tomato in Scrambled Eggs with Spring Onions over Rice featured as a Plate Lunch popular everywhere in Hong Kong

I hope this stirs more tastes into everyones pot.

Irwin :wub::huh:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Ginger

5~6 beefsteak tomatoes

1~1.5lb. Flank steak

Brown "candy"

3 eggs, beaten

Transparent,

What do you mean by brown "candy?" Do you mean brown sugar? :wacko:

Catherine

:wacko:

Brown candy are basically the large slabs of brown sugar. It's labeled as such, so I just refer to it as candy. It's the same for rock candy.

I have played with this dish a bit recently because I decided to introduce it to my wife, who loves tomatoes but unfortunately doesn't like beef (I'm working on it... :wink: ). Rougly: I use either fresh tomatoes or canned, marinated ground turkey instead of beef (worchesh... the W sauce... does wonders), sugar (white but yes it makes so much sense to use brown; also extra sugar if they're fresh tomatoes), no other veg, no ketchup!, and to finish I try to do the egg drop thing for colour variation, but sometimes it doesn't work so well and ends up just thickening the dish (Ben I see you do this intentionally).

From reading this thread I'm going to try using ginger and of course brown sugar.

My question is, does the egg drop thing seem weird? It's a touch I added, wasn't present when served to me in my youth. But someone mentioned adding strips of fried egg, so maybe not. Also, how the heck do you do the egg drop successfully every time? Thanks in advance!

I use strips of fried eggs. To me, it adds colour and a different "shape", both in contrast to the rest of the ingredients. I also find the egg is great for scooping up the sauce at the end!

Another benefit: I can nibble on pieces of egg while the rest cook. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Am I the only one here who doesn't like tomatoes in Chinese food? I understand that I wasn't raised on home cooked Chinese meals, where food tastes are formed, and I like tomatoes in other dishes ----but not Chinese ones!

Even in China, when the soup with scrambles eggs and tomatoes came around, I passed on it. Same with other dishes with tomatoes in it.

Some times, in a take-out dish, I see tomatoes and I pass on that too!

The only times I've used tomatoes, in Chinese cooking, is to make a tomato rose------as a garnish! That is where the tomato belongs---on the side of the plate, looking absolutely gorgeous --- but not lending its flavor to anything!

My question is, does the egg drop thing seem weird? It's a touch I added, wasn't present when served to me in my youth. But someone mentioned adding strips of fried egg, so maybe not. Also, how the heck do you do the egg drop successfully every time? Thanks in advance!

I've always had the egg drop when I was younger. Then again, younger doesn't mean too much when I haven't hit 18 yet. :P

I've always had the egg drop when I was younger. Then again, younger doesn't mean too much when I haven't hit 18 yet. :P

Beef and tomato was standard in the old-school Cantonese restaurants in Vancouver in the 60's and 70's, but I don't remember ever getting it with egg. It was just beef, tomato and that sweet sauce.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I thought it would be interesting to mention some facts to be considered relating to the Chinese treatment of anything with "Fresh Tomato's" being served and eaten in Hong Kong.

By far the most popular dish made with Raw Tomato's was a very simple "Tomato and Egg Soup" made from Fresh Diced or Quartered Tomatos being sauted in Oil or Lard with a dash of Sugar and Soy Sauce. This was blended together with Eggs mixed together with Broth and Corn Starch then simply allowed to slightly thicken until it clearified, then served over Rice. {Soft Eggs with Tomatos over Rice]

Tomato's were always served Cooked as almost all vegetables grown in the vacinity of Hong Kong were grown in "Night Soil" fertilizer that was being gathered by the farmers until very recently and may still be collected in certain areas.

Other variations served always included the tomatos being cooked, even when many Chinese moved to other countries they were always cautious about raw vegetables.

When I lived in Hong Kong we had a very successful business importing Lettuce, Tomato's and most Vegetables from Taiwan for the Hotel's and European/American Style Restaurants or importing directly from the States. There were only several very small growers in Hong Kong that grew supervised grown produce.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Beef and tomato was standard in the old-school Cantonese restaurants in Vancouver in the 60's and 70's, but I don't remember ever getting it with egg.  It was just beef, tomato and that sweet sauce.

I had never had tomato beef with egg until my students from mainland China cooked it for our international food fair. Then my kids ate supper at my brother's while we were away, and she added eggs strips. Now my kids always ask me to add egg like "kow Mo" does. My students add scrambled eggs (clumps) which didn't look as appetizing to me. I like the look of the strips. :smile:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Beef and tomato was standard in the old-school Cantonese restaurants in Vancouver in the 60's and 70's, but I don't remember ever getting it with egg.  It was just beef, tomato and that sweet sauce.

I had never had tomato beef with egg until my students from mainland China cooked it for our international food fair. Then my kids ate supper at my brother's while we were away, and she added eggs strips. Now my kids always ask me to add egg like "kow Mo" does. My students add scrambled eggs (clumps) which didn't look as appetizing to me. I like the look of the strips. :smile:

But the scrambled eggs are much more fluffy, wouldn't the strips be too long and thin?? I think the Cantonese style served at restaurant are more like a stir fried dish while the style that I get at home is like a watery soup version.

But the scrambled eggs are much more fluffy, wouldn't the strips be too long and thin?? I think the Cantonese style served at restaurant are more like a stir fried dish while the style that I get at home is like a watery soup version.

I usually make sure the "omelet" is fairly thick. They are not really long strips. I cut them into strips then into shorter pieces about 2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide. The scrambles eggs would be fluffier. I will try it next time! :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

..... My students add scrambled eggs (clumps) which didn't look as

appetizing to me. I like the look of the strips. :smile:

Would you like to make the egg look perfectly square like the ones in breakfast sandwiches offered by Burger King? They look very artificial!

:biggrin:

I like ginger in many dishes, but usually not stir-fried with vegetables. My mother-in-law put ginger with every vegetable she cooks (chinese cabbage, bok choy, choy sum... gosh... everything). She kept saying ginger is "Leung" (cool, opposite to hot), it's good for you... May be this is the Toisan/Hong-Kong difference.

I don't put ginger in to cook tomato beef. Not oyster sauce either for that matter. To me, the characteristics of tomato beef should be a bit sweet and sour. Catsup is a too salty to my taste. I usually use plain, canned tomato sauce.

So my typical process is:

Break 3-4 eggs, make a scrambled-egg, remove. Beef slices (or chicken, or turkey, whatever) is to be marindated first (soy sauce, white pepper, corn starch, sesame oil), then pre-cooked over light oil. Remove. Tomatoes cut in wedges.

Finally: light oil, sautee some chopped garlic, and wedges of onions, add salt. Dash in vinegar (a bit more than other stir-fried dishes because you want to bring out the "sour" taste), add tomatoes, chicken broth (or water), 1 can of tomato sauce, and adequate amount of sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes until tomato turns soft. Thicken the sauce with corn starch slurry. When it is at the right consistency, re-add the scrambled eggs and beef. Sprinkle chopped green onions on top if I feel like it (or cilantro).

I think the addition of onions makes a big difference in the taste.

Doing egg-drop kind of "dissolves" the eggs into the sauce and you really can't taste the texture of the eggs.

And this dish is NOT to be eaten with fu yu, period! :wink::wink::raz:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

To me, the ultimate recipe for Beef and Tomato comes from Grace Young's cookbook.

Basically, tomatoes, ginger, green onion, oyster sauce, and sugar.

My wife and I live and die by this recipe.  :raz:

Ditto for me, except I omit the ginger and add beef and egg strips, as discussed above. The tomatoes are cut into large wedges and simmered so that they are soft and pulpy, not too mushy. I would think the giner would overpower the taste of the tomatoes.

I make this at least twice a week for my family. My kids gobble it up! :laugh: