• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sara's Secrets Cancelled

FabulousFoodBabe

Okay, I am completely and totally speculating here, but can't help wondering if there was some kind of quid-pro-quo: "Hey Alton, do ICA and we'll be sure to renew your Good Eats contract." Far-fetched? I dunno. Maybe I just have a naturally suspicious mind. :biggrin:

Well, it's certainly understandable to be suspicious around FTV, but I don't see Alton going anywhere, unless he wants to call it quits himself. He's one of their superstars. And they certainly didn't make that sort of offer to Mario, whose cooking show stopped production last summer.

In general, we all seem to agree that FoodNet is basically a dumbing-down process with a few shows and chefs we like (whether it be Alton, Sara, Mario, or whomever).

With Sara's departure, which doesn't bother me as much as it bothers some of you, there is a suspicion that the dumbing-down will be accelerated. And that is probably true.

It's too bad. Because they have an opportunity to make everyone happy. Why couldn't they put on a couple of shows dedicated to the "foodies" of the world (us). They could air them at not primetime hours (we're desperate enough to watch them at 2AM) and they could then delivery multiple markets to their advertizers.

But then, I have always been a "glass half full" type of guy.

ri

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

I think there are still good shows on FN, but Sara's was informative and she would bring on guests that had specialties. As Jason said, watching Cooking Live was not just watching someone create dish after dish. She would take a subject, i.e., sauces, spices, knives or pots and teach, much like eG's Culinary Institute. These days on FN, most will not show you how to cut up a chicken, clean a fish, or how to fillet. Maybe it's because most are past all that, but I'm not. I do watch Good Eats and Essence of Emeril for information, but mostly I'm watching the Fine Living channel, their other enterprise.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

We finally got FN on our cable TV last month. I haven't seem much of Sara yet, but I already cringe when I see Emeril - why is he on every night??? It's like watching a bad infomercial (not that there are any good infomercials.)

Rachel Ray hasn't gotten to me yet, but Sandra Lee is unwatchable. I like some of the Al Roker shows and How to Boil Water.

What amazes me if the number of advertisers for prepared food. The FN demographics must say that cooks are not watching - only very hungry people. At least I didn't have to pay extra to get FN. I'm just disappointed with what they have to offer. :sad:

KathyM

I'm terribly sad to see Sarah go. While I did watch more of her in the Cooking Live days, I always stop to see what she's cooking up whenever I have the chance. She's in my Instructional Television Hall of Fame... along with Norm Abram and Jeff Smith.

I agree with Jason that she is one of the few Food TV chefs that still care to teach technique from the ground up. I started watching her in college when I had no idea what the hell I was doing in a kitchen, which is not too different than today, but she provided excellent instruction such that I was able to follow many of her recipes and feed myself successfully. This is a lot of the reason why I still love Emeril. He, along with the old stable of Food TV chefs, pretty much taught me to cook, and as scary and pathetic as that probably sounds, I will always be grateful for that.

Sara saw it coming. There was another thread discussing the downturn in the FoodTV programming last year or so and there was a link to an article with Sara commenting that shows like hers were on the way out at Food TV. She saw the writing on the wall quite some time ago.

I wonder if she'd end up doing a cooking show on PBS? If Epicurious launched a syndicated PBS cooking show, it would be a great supplement to their magazines (Gourmet and Bon Appétit) and to their web site. They could probably churn out a companion book quite easily.

And the idea of a competing network ("The Cooking Network"?) would be welcome given the direction FoodTV is heading.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

From the interview with Kathleen Finch:

I learned from Finch that the programming day is broken into two segments for a reason. The daytime hours (which feature the cooking shows I want to see) are aimed at the stay-at-home person who wants to learn to cook something new for dinner. The food-themed entertainment programs after Emeril Live dominate the evenings to draw a larger audience.
"The prime-time audience are people who love food and they love to eat out at restaurants, and love to know about the subject. But they don't necessarily want to sit down at 9 at night and get a cooking lesson. A lot of that is because they have already eaten their dinner," Finch said.

I suppose she says that because that's what their market research shows, but I wonder who their research subjects are. An awful lot of "real" cooks are people who have full-time jobs. Most of the people who are at home in the daytime that I know, are stay-at-home moms who are either extremely busy people and don't have time or energy to cook. For example, I recently attended a cooking class at Williams-Sonoma (at $40 for a two-hour opportunity to watch a chef cook) were all employed full time, except for one, who was an elderly woman attending with her daughter... who holds a full-time job.

All of the people I know who are passionate about cooking, are people who aren't around in the daytime to see the instructional shows, and are bored by Food TV's nighttime offerings... at least until the Iron Chef reruns come on.

Edited by jgm (log)

Sara saw it coming.  There was another thread discussing the downturn in the FoodTV programming last year or so and there was a link to an article with Sara commenting that shows like hers were on the way out at Food TV.  She saw the writing on the wall quite some time ago.

I wonder if she'd end up doing a cooking show on PBS?  If Epicurious launched a syndicated PBS cooking show, it would be a great supplement to their magazines (Gourmet and Bon Appétit) and to their web site.  They could probably churn out a companion book quite easily.

And the idea of a competing network ("The Cooking Network"?) would be welcome given the direction FoodTV is heading.

Epicurious already sponsors a few PBS cooking shows, so it's certainly feasible. And I remember that comment from Sara about FTV's direction, too. Actually, I had been thinking that it had quietly stopped production long ago.

Epicurious had a show featuring Michael Lamonico, another FoodTV refugee, and I thought it was good. I really liked Lamonico's show on Food TV and unfortunately the epicurious show was not as good and at the time Food TV still had some pretty good offerings, so I rarely watched him on Epicurious.

Some network out there should pick up the slack and start showing some cooking on TV again. PBS is great, but I need more than saturday mornings. I want it to go back the way it was... when Moulton, Batali, et al were at their peak... although back then, Food TV didn't have many viewers.

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

Epicurious is still running, just on the Travel Channel. Does anyone watch it? I was amused by Michael's first co-host; some British woman who seemed to truly hate her job. The other co-hostess is too perky for me. Have things changed?

I always wanted to like Sara's Secrets much more than I ever did. Cooking Live was great. It impressed the hell out of me that she would never flinch and always be helpful to people who would call up and say things like, "is it all right if I use Velveeta instead?" :wacko:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

I concur with Toliver. I met Sara a couple of years ago at a charity event at her alma mater, CIA, where she gave an excellent demo and stayed around to chat and do book signings. She indicated in no uncertain terms that the days of instructional cooking shows, hers included, were numbered as the network was moving in a different direction. I can't speak for her, but I surmise that she might be surprised that she lasted this long.

I disagree with the programming executive from the network that people can't get enough of Rachel Ray. Like Emeril, the same worn-out phrases and routine gets old and tiresome fast. What's initially cute gets irksome and I'm afraid that overexposure might wear their appeal a bit thin. But what do we know. The programming is only filler in between commercials. I find it ironic to watch Giada try to convey an "authentic" Italian dish followed by a commercial for Olive Garden. I'm afraid FTVN is more for people who would rather go to the Olive Garden than try to make some of her dishes. Maybe they're just guilty of giving people what they (or what the network thinks) people want.

Mark A. Bauman

Cooking Live was great.  It impressed the hell out of me that she would never flinch and always be helpful to people who would call up and say things like, "is it all right if I use Velveeta instead?"  :wacko:

I always loved the mystery basket shows when she had to cook with ingredients her staff picked for her. She'd lay waste to that kitchen!

surprised yes. sad, a bit maybe. foodtv has really boring shows 'cept for some iron chef usa episodes...i liked the episodes when they had eric ripert or something on the show....does anyone know what sara moulton is going to do after this??...anyways, good luck to her and her future ventures.

Well, she still has her "day job" as Executive Chef at Gourmet magazine, for whatever that entails. She's written cookbooks and may continue to do such. She has appeared as a celebrity chef for a number of culinary travel events. Don't think she'll lack for things to do- her family will probably appreciate having her around a little more.

Mark A. Bauman

As it happens, Sara is coming to Jacksonville for a celebrity chef thing at one of the malls. I am talking to her on Tuesday.I usually don't do this, but what the hey — anyone have any questions they'd like to ask her?

It was mentioned earlier in this discussion that Epicurious (parent company of Gourmet magazine & Bon Appétit magazine) sponsors some PBS cooking shows. Could you ask her if she'd ever consider doing a cooking show for PBS either as a "Gourmet" chef or as just herself? I'd hate to just see her disappear from television.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver