• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering your own wine at a party

racheld

A couple of weeks ago, we were attending an anniversary party at a hotel; our table of ten was "treated" to wine ordered and paid for by one of the other guests at the table. He shared it, he described it, and seemed happy for others to partake of his selection.

BUT---it seemed a slap at the hosts, who had served their own selections to their whole roomful of guests. It seemed, if only by inference, that their choices were not good enough, or were not quite worthy of his own educated palate.

Is this a new thing I just haven't noticed? And would you do it?

rachel

In general, if someone is kind enough to be hosting me, I will happily partake of the free hospitality and would think it a little offending if someone ordered something else.

A little different if a finite amount was provided for the table and when it was gone, a guest decided to provide a little more.

Generally, I would discourage such practice as showing up the host. But, if the wine were ordered toward the end of the affair, after everyone had eaten and drank of the host's wine, I could allow a little latitude. It is still a delicate issue, though, and I would not do it.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

A couple of weeks ago, we were attending an anniversary party at a hotel; our table of ten was "treated" to wine ordered and paid for by one of the other guests at the table.  He shared it, he described it, and seemed happy for others to partake of his selection.

BUT---it seemed a slap at the hosts, who had served their own selections to their whole roomful of guests.  It seemed, if only by inference, that their choices were not good enough, or were not quite worthy of his own educated palate.

Is this a new thing I just haven't noticed?    And would you do it?

rachel

Personally, I think it is in poor taste that when someone is hosting an event, you make a choice to order something else and encourage the table to partake in it. Every host, makes a decision when they are hosting a party as to their budget and if they can get into more detail of food and wine pairing selecting the wines, then more power to them. If you decide to drink something else then what is offered, there is a more subtle way of handling it. As a Wine importer myself, I am always so gracious in accepting what someone offers me as to not insult MY HOST or HOSTESS.

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com

If you were the host would you care? I wouldnt. As a host you cant expect to please everyone 100%. But you can and do want everyone to be happy. If that is what made that guy happy, so be it.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

If you were the host would you care?  I wouldnt.  As a host you cant expect to please everyone 100%.  But you can and do want everyone to be happy.  If that is what made that guy happy, so be it.

While I can see your point, I do think that if you really wanted to order something else, the right thing to do would be to order something that isn't wine. While I personally wouldn't be offended as the host, I wouldn't do this as a guest and would probably say something to another guest doing the ordering.