• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef has discovered an enzyme - The Sequel

schneich

For me at least, the "wow" factor here is the fact that the citrus segments remain entirely intact. Sure, we can cut away the bitter pith (I'm guessing that most folks here know how to slide a knife to either side of the citrus membrane), but then we wind up with cut citrus. The beauty of this enzyme is that it dissolves away the bitter white stuff without damaging the lovely structure of the underlying fruit. This isn't citrus "supreme", it's intact segments with no outward damage.

Schneich's photos attest to the visual appeal. As for culinary merit, the main advantage I see is that the juices won't be leaking from the fruit, so you get a burst of flavor when you bite into it. There's certainly a place for citrus that's had the pith cut away. This is simply a different presentation, and I imagine a different experience as well.

As for the "scary enzyme" aspect, all I can say is that the foods we cook with every day contain enzymes and other chemicals that sound creepy when described by their scientific nomenclature. From what I can see, this enzyme, and the "meat glue" one in the thread alluded to in Schneich's topic title, occur in nature. Sure, this company is undoubtedly using gigantic stainless-steel fermenters to produce this stuff, so it's far from the quaint and "comforting" artisanal model of food production (most emphatically not a put-down).

Come to think of it, the first thing I thought of when I viewed Scheich's photos was - Wouldn't it be lovely to place a perfect segment of organically-grown blood orange in your mouth and experience that sudden release of flavor?

okay I'm completly obsessed with playing with this stuff for recipes. I need to get my hands on it!!!! is it expensive? confusing to work with? what does it look like? powder? liquid? oh man, it's just so cool!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.