• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's best in the Northern 'Burbs?

Daddy-A

In response to Jeffy Boy's thread on the Southern 'Burbs (CLICKABLE) I thought I'd throw the same question out for those of us North of the Fraser ... fewer bridges and all that :raz:

What are your favourite eating spots north of the Fraser? Looking for favourite overall (a la fine dining), as well as tips on unique gems that might otherwise go undiscovered. I'm most familiar myself with Burnaby & Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody).

Let's get The Pear Tree out of the way right now. Truly in a class all its own IMO.

Today I enjoyed a nice panini at Casa Dolce, in the Newport area of Port Moody (NE corner of Ioco Rd. & Gilmore). Cute little Whistler-like area. Great seafood shop called Inlet (full disclosure - I just discovered today it's owned by an old friend of mine, Malcolm "Magic" McMillan) and even a Martini Bar (need to explore further :cool: ). Casa Dolce has a full-fledge bakery just across the street that sells an amazing assortment of Italian breads & pastries, along with other deli-type items. Lunch today was the Veggie Panini & and an Americano (Illy) ... about $8. I'll be back for the home made gelato ... looked really good.

A.

As you said, Scott Jaeger's cuisine at The Pear Tree is in a class unto itself. One of our favourite restaurants in the Lower Mainland. And the gelato at Casa Dolce is, indeed, very tasty. I also love that there's lots of outdoor seating, perfect for enjoying a sweet treat on a warm summer's evening. Make sure to head back and sample their wares Arne.

My knee-jerk reaction to this question would be Takumi Sushi, located at 3495 North Road in Burnaby, 1 block up the hill from Lougheed Mall in a strip mall on the west side of the street. Traditional Japanese food and service, stellar sushi (some of the best I've had anywhere in the Lower Mainland), almost always packed to the gills (pardon the pun :rolleyes: ). Hopefully montrachet will chime in and give you his expert analysis of their menu offerings.

I'd also suggest the Mayan Art Cafe in Port Coquitlam that I posted about on the local Coffeehouses thread. Good coffee is no longer an anomaly in PoCo.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Having lived in the Burnaby area since December, I'm having a difficult time finding restaurants and cafe's to frequent. It seems to me that the Burnaby/Coquitlam area is mostly populated with chain restaurants and fast food joints.

Casa Dolce in Port Moody is definitely one of my fav. places to go for gelato, especially their peanut butter and chocolate gelato which is unbelievably delicious. St. James Pub in New Port Village (next to Casa Dolce) has some decent pub food at reasonable prices, although I found their drink menu to be a bit on the expensive side. Their turkey, brie and strawberry sandwhich is a tasty little combination on sourdough and their homemade asparagus, crab and guiness soup is also pretty good.

There is a little sushi restaurant on Lansdowne and Guilford in a strip mall called Sushi Turn House that is in my opinion one of the best places to for sushi around that area and very reasonably priced. If your desparate for a sushi fix and don't want to drive into the city it's a good place to try. I find it a better place for takeout rather than eating in, there is limited seating and it can get quite busy. Their rolls are absolutley delicious and their pieces of sashimi are very generous.

Having lived in the Burnaby area since December, I'm having a difficult time finding restaurants and cafe's to frequent.

Don't feel bad. Having lived here 99% of my life, I find the same thing. Thus this thread.

BTW, welcome to the 'hood ... Burnaby & eGullet.

A.

:biggrin:

Aha! Here she is, sucked into the never-ending vortex of time otherwise known as eGullet... it's about damn time. A few of you already know her, as she's accompanied me on some of our group dining escapades: chocolate tarts at Bravo Bistro, dim sum at Szechuan Chongqing and many coffees at The Elysian Room for starters. Welcome PeppermintTea!

Back OT, the peanut butter and chocolate gelato at Casa Dolce is pretty damn good. They also used to have a fairly extensive selection of handmade chocolates, though I believe they've scaled it down somewhat.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Re Burnaby, Cristos Greek place on Hastings east of Willingdon

is good. Great paidakia and extra garlicky homous.

Also on Hastings (OK, all of these are on Hastings), the three

Italian places: La Villeta (great veal), L'Artista (fabo risotto),

and Baci, although haven't been there since they remodelled.

Then there's Bombay Behl, which was OK. I'll post my

impressions in that thread...