• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Round Trip Fare

jim07044

we tried Round Trip Fare last night. they've done a nice job redecorating the train station. we got there early - about 6:30pm. Only two other tables were taken. the server came right over & gave us menus. not a huge menu, but enough items to choose from. i had read on barista.net that they had burgers, but they were not listed on the menu. they will be getting a liquor license next week, but right now they offer patrons a complimentary glass of wine with dinner - nice touch.

i ordered the chicken giambotta - very good with 5-6 pieces of bone-in chicken, sliced Italian sausage, peppers, onions, potatoes, in a delicious gravy. my husband ordered the crab cakes and a house salad. he wasn't thrilled with the crab cakes - he thought they tasted manufactured (out of a box). i tasted them - they were ok, not great. his salad was fine.

they only have three items on the dessert menu - Paul's Cheesecake, flan, & creme brulee. we declined dessert & coffee, but they offered us an after dinner drink - something like Bailey's.

We asked about the burgers. they said they are having new menus printed & they will be on there. The owner said to ask for anything you want that's not on the menu & they will try to accommodate it. i would give it another try.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

It's a nice place, thoughtfully decorated and trimmed. The liquor license is still awaited (maybe the week of the 16th), so they offered a complimentary glass of merlot or pinot grigio.

Mid-week, the place was empty. Only one other table at 730pm, with six people. Two other two-tops arrived during our visit.

Menu has ambitious touches lobster ravioli with pink Champagne sauce, the aforementioned giambotta, a horseradish demi-glazed salmon slab, etc. Prices were competitive to the area ($15 to $20).

I liked it a lot, although I suspect the noise level could quickly reach unbearable when the place fills up. There's nothing to absorb any sound in the angular, high ceilinged room.

The ravioli was very good. Generous chunks of lobster, al dente pasta, a vodka-like sauce. Dee enjoyed the salmon (crisp exterior, pink center), but found the sauteed spinach much too salty. In contrast, the mashed potatoes tasted like they were from the box. I'm sure they weren't, but the absolute smoothness and blandness surprised me.

An amuse of chocolate chip liquer was a surprise. Dessert was shown on a tray, we split a very attractive apple cobbler with ice cream. Butterscotch hatching on the ice cream was a nice touch.

Coupla negatives:

---The server was a little more casual than I expected.

---The plating could have used some pizzazz. Dumping the 6 ravioli on the plate, spooning the sauce and droppng a sprig of basil doesn't cut it. Maybe drizzling a little minced parsley on the edges, or black pepper dusting to set off the food?

--Dee objected to the server bringing me the bill, and raised that as an objection

--The service pantry (old ticket seller's booth) prob should be screened better. Looking into a large fridge isn't everybody's idea of gracous dining

This is a nice place, run by people who obviously care a lot about what they do. I'm sure as they gain traction, these minor concerns will vanish.

Dinner was $45, with tip $55. We brought a bottle of wine, and didn't have any of theirs. BYO will prob end next week, they seemed comfortable the license would be approved.

Barista report the resto sold out on Friday and Saturday nights last week.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 10 months later...
I read in the Star Ledger that this place and some of the station burnt down over the weekend.

Drove by, it did not burn down, but it is very burned up. Looks like the building is recoverable but it will no doubt be quite a while before the restaurant returns.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Story and some photos are also here on Baristanet...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."