• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasserio Caviar & Banana

SobaAddict70

The food at Caviar & Banana is all over the place. It's intriguing and off-putting, inspired and ludicrous, or at least it was on the occasions when I sampled it.

Banana skin with crispy bacon? As horrific as it sounds. Coconut creamed spinach? Popeye would pop a vein.

An enticing appetizer of salmon tartare mingled silky cubes of the fish's rosy flesh with a smoked haddock mousse, more tapioca, chives, shallots and lime zest.

Is this the new Spice Market? Only time can tell.

Chef Claude Troisgros and Jeffrey Chodorow have created a Brazillian brasserie in an instant makeover of 12 East 22nd Street -- the former home of The Restaurant.

Brasserio Caviar & Banana (Frank Bruni)

Soba

• 1 month later...

I had a wonderful meal at CT, although I had mixed feelings about the first anniversary dinner there. As it turned out however, it was Claude's dishes I loved and papa's that I thought were weak. Maybe my memorie is playing tricks on me. I don't find this one appealing however. For a bit of history, the space was Claude Troisgros' CT, later became Union Pacific, Rocco's crtically successful restaurant. It just leads me to believe that some spaces are charmed and some are jinxed.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 7 months later...

I hear it's being considered as the site for the newly conceived Restaurant Hall of Fame.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

No space was cursed like the Lupa space. It saw a rapid progression of failures before Mario took it over. He did alright with the Otto space as well, though I don't think that was as badly cursed.

I loved CT, Claude's earlier NYC restaurant (on the site of Union Pacific, by the way) where he was in the kitchen. I had no desire to try Cavair and Banana.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

What was there before Rocco's?

Commune, I believe.

It was one of Mathew Kenney's last "big" places before scaling back & moving on to Pure Food & Wine

There were at least two other restaurants there before that, including, as I recall, a burger place/bar that had sawdust on the floor. I don't remember the name.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I think that space is cursed.

Maybe it's Chodorow who is cursed?!

But then how would you explain his multi-million-dollar empire? He's got 21 other restaurants that are moving along at a nice clip. China Grill & Asia de Cuba seem to be doing particulary well in all cities.

I think that space is cursed.

Maybe it's Chodorow who is cursed?!

But then how would you explain his multi-million-dollar empire? He's got 21 other restaurants that are moving along at a nice clip. China Grill & Asia de Cuba seem to be doing particulary well in all cities.

Not trying to explain his multi-million dollar empire; but after watching the show and eating at the abomination that was Rocco's, perhaps just wishful thinking. There's no accounting for the taste of the masses - I wouldn't pay to eat in any of his restaurants - they do nothing for me.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

But then how would you explain his multi-million-dollar empire?  He's got 21 other restaurants that are moving along at a nice clip.  China Grill & Asia de Cuba seem to be doing particulary well in all cities.

But Mix was closed for underperforming as well. Maybe he is good at bars but not at managing more serious restaurants.

But then how would you explain his multi-million-dollar empire?  He's got 21 other restaurants that are moving along at a nice clip.  China Grill & Asia de Cuba seem to be doing particulary well in all cities.

But Mix was closed for underperforming as well. Maybe he is good at bars but not at managing more serious restaurants.

It does seem as if he started getting in trouble after he started owning chef driven restaurants as opposed to popular or trendy restaurants.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable