• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Four wines

Florida Jim

2003 Bonny Doon, Il Circ Ruchè La Donna Cannone:

14.5% alcohol, produced and bottled in Italy; milk shake texture, hugely distorted and chocolate-ized flavors, disjointed and a burning, vodka-esque finish, this is one of the very worst beverages (it damn sure ain’t wine) that I have had the misfortune to encounter. DNPIM.

2003 Bodegas Ercavio, Tempranillo Roble:

13.5% alcohol from vineyards in Toledo, 5 months in oak; elegantly scented with spice, black fruit, dust and light raspberry aromas; fuller and more powerful on the palate with rich flavors that follow the nose, fine but noticeable tannins, good balance and a clean, tannic (but not astringent) finish. From the nose, I thought it would be a lightweight; it wasn’t, but neither was it huge or misshapen in any way. Delicious and, for $8, I will buy a case tomorrow.

2002 Domaine du Clos du Fief (Tete), Juliénas:

Wonderfully open and smooth with a rich palate, expansive nose and long finish. About as good as it gets – and that is very good, indeed. Superb.

2000 Mont Marcal, Cava Brut Reserva:

11% alcohol and very fresh tasting with earthy scents, a tiny and energetic bead, and, a toasted almond, very slightly bitter, finish. No RS detected. Another delicious wine for only $9.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com