• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston - Market Square Market

Farming_Lassie

I'm looking for feedback and opinions of the new market in Downtown Houston-- Market Square Market.

To my understanding it is two city blocks with promise of 200 vendors to come, open on Saturdays rain or shine. What is the atmosphere farmer's market or flea market?

Also would appreciate any input on the Houston Farmer's market.

Thank you.

Ang.

St. Fairsted

Check out this thread for more discussion about Houston farmer's markets.

Do you have any more details about the Market Square Market in specific? Like where will it be located at? Who is it sposored by? I have not heard anyhting about it so I cannot help, but would like to get more information as well.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I remember that there was some "talk" a few years ago about reviving the "market concept" around market square. The idea was to get more going on so folks would go downtown again. Then they tore up downtown. I never heard any more about it. Maybe it is finally coming true. We do need to look out for more information on this.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

There was an article in the Chronicle Business Section 2 weeks ago about an individual trying to organize an open air market at Market Square. Sounds similar to one you find at Union Square in New York City.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

The whole of Market Square (or at least much of it) is encircled with vendors. Some of the parking lot on the south side also has vendors. Currently it's mostly artists selling their wares, but last weekend I did see one vendor selling wild lettuces. They are trying to have more food vendors and get the nearby restaurants open for breakfast. Also food related....V8 was there last weekend giving away juice & t-shirts.

It may evolve into having some food vendors and some artists.

This is what I have found on it so far

website www.marketsquaremarket.com

I understand the "brain" behind the market is allowing imports and vendors over 150 miles which is....uhm, a little different compared to rules and regulations. It's planting season for me on the farm, so if any of you guys can visit the market and share with me how it develops -- it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Angela