• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 GREAT Wines

sadistick

Ok, I have sometimes scoffed at Wolf Blass - but no more!

Last night, we had a bottle of 2001 Wolf Blass Gold Label, which is a 91% Cab Sauv and 9% Cab Franc, which was really nice, fruity, good structure, long smooth finish, and for $29 CDN, you cant beat that.

We then had it's big brother - 2001 Wolf Blass Grey Label, which is a "cassic shiraz" and all I can say about this wine is...BIG...Lots of fruit, still very tannic, I told my dad to wait another few years before opening, but he insisted, and who am I to argue!

Another 2-3 years, and this wine will be amazing...and for $39 you can NOT go wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

We down here in Australia are divided over old Wolfie. Marketing's been aggressive, and maybe a little dumbed down. Even the local airlines don't seem to carry them any more.

But, they're a great standby. You really can't go wrong with their tried and tested 'formula' wines. I wouldn't put too much salt on their proportions, sometimes, I think they'd do anything to get the consistency in.

On the whole, they're fair to good food wines. Wolf Blass is considered table wine down here to a degree. I do like their Cab/Merlot. Don't think much of their Shirazes, but its just me, and I'm glad to see you Canadians enjoying them. Just wanna get me hands on some of that ice-wine!!!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

[

But, they're a great standby. You really can't go wrong with their tried and tested 'formula' wines. I wouldn't put too much salt on their proportions, sometimes, I think they'd do anything to get the consistency in.

I fully agree.

The Gold lable we have in our part of the world is the Riesling - amongst WB better creations.

Although a good choice of many blends, I raerely fing the mid. range properly tuned in terms of the marriage between the wines the varietal nme is composed of.

Their 2001 Grey is indeed massive and well structured.

Some of my choices from Beringer Blass

Shiraz Mildara

Shiraz Mt. Ida

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

I actually saw a BLACK Label Wolf Blass which retailed for $99!!

Now thats nuts!

Wolf Blass has a number of different lines/varieties available in Ontario ranging in price from approx. $15 to $150. The LCBO website should list most of what they carry on a regular basis. (I can think of 15 or so just off-hand).

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Now thats nuts!

The Black Label is actually the one I would personally consider purchasing. It's a fantastic wine. (Of course, I haven't actually had it in about 6 years, but it was damn tasty then)

Now thats nuts!

The Black Label is actually the one I would personally consider purchasing. It's a fantastic wine. (Of course, I haven't actually had it in about 6 years, but it was damn tasty then)

Sorry, but for that kind of money, I would take a nice Brunello, amarone, or whatnot...