• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hail Caesar?

Feedbag

Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

Love the board; I've learned so much.

In return, hope I can help with experiences I've had.

One thing that has always mystified me is the lamentable

disappearance of the classic Caesar salad. Remember

it used to be made in a big wooden bowl at your table,

where you could give input on garlic (lots) and anchovies

(not so much)? I don't mind that the tradition

has died, but what it's been replaced with: goopy, gloppy,

mayo-laden soggy lettuce. Does anyone in this city know

how to make a decent Caesar anymore? I'd love to know,

since it's a real gamble ordering one these days.

Thanks for your "feed" back.

Welcome to the nuthouse Feedbag! Pull up a straitjacket and stay awhile! :wink:

I'm a huge lover of garlic and anchovy-laden Caesar salad. Not that it's made tableside, but the Caesar salad at Burgoo falls into this category. Crisp, fresh and not too heavy on the dressing with freshly shaved parmesan. And everyone can smell that you've eaten it for hours afterwards... a winner in my books!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Hear hear.

Though making anything tableside other than money is a colossal pain in the ass, the act of making a good caesar in front of your guests nearly guarantees an upwardly mobile tip percentage, so I can appreciate the artform. As a customer I like to be able to control what goes into my caesar rather than be subjected to the latest inspiration du jour, like adding pancetta or a starfruit garnish.

I'm sooo glad that the trend of not cutting the romaine up but rather serving half a head with drizzled dressing, olive oil and shaved parm on top is dead. There is "rustico" and then there is "stupido". Don't mess with the caesar salad and then call it a caesar salad.

It's too late for the martini. :laugh:

Hy's makes a great caesar salad, as do most of the better steak houses.

I'm wondering though...is there an italian way and a bastardised, mangiacake way?

Here's my ideal:

fresh, bite-chopped romaine with dressing requisites: slight taste of anchovy, no egg taste, no pig, a slight zing of lemon juice, plenty garlic. Some croutonish thingy (can be a single slab). garnish with shaveed parm.

Why mess with a good thing?

And welcome Feedbag. :wink:

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Welcome Feedbag.

Indeed the pleasure of a Caesar salad prepared tableside at Hy’s Encore has as much to do with its deeply pungent flavour and the spines of cold, crisp romaine as it does with the chance to deliberate in its preparation (extra anchovies, please) with a waiter (never server here) of tenure and gracious professionalism. Combined with a foil packet of cheese toast, the salad is basely sexual, and foreplay to the savagery of what lies just ahead.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Dario's in the Italian Cultural Center makes their caesar salad the traditional way.

True story, and what a undersung restaurant it is--found especially in the value- laden lunches.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I'm wondering though...is there an italian way and a bastardised, mangiacake way?

Umm, I trust we know that Caesar salad is generally considered to have originated in Mexico (Tijuana to be specific), not Italy? The restaurateur who came up with it was of Italian descent, however.

More info than you need here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SaladHistory.htm and here: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/caesar.htm

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Umm, I trust we know that Caesar salad is generally considered to have originated in Mexico (Tijuana to be specific), not Italy? The restaurateur who came up with it was of Italian descent, however.

More info than you need here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/SaladHistory.htm and here: http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/caesar.htm

I didn't know that but it makes sense. The best tableside Caesar we ever had was at a restaurant located outside of our El Cid beachfront hotel in Mazatlan. It was an amazingly impressive show. I wish I remembered the name of the place..... :hmmm:

Pao Pao beat me to it... Le Gavroche is not the name of the restaurant in Mexico he refers.... to but the one in Vancouver... in case anyone is confused.... :blink: .

Le Gavroche.... neither Mexican nor Italian :smile: will make a caesar salad at your table.... http://www.legavroche.com/menu.htm

A friend of mine had dinner there recently and said that their caesar salad was very good indeed.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I had no idea! :huh:

Thanks.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

If any of you are visiting in Edmonton, you may want to try the dining room at NAIT, now known as Ernest's. Last year when I was studying there, we made "tableside" caesar at the Friday buffet a couple of times. Even when we didn't, it was made backstage, so to speak, in the classic manner (since we could learn the bastardized versions at our leisure, once we graduated).

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Umm, I trust we know that Caesar salad is generally considered to have originated in Mexico (Tijuana to be specific), not Italy?  The restaurateur who came up with it was of Italian descent, however.

Indeed!

I've been to the Hotel where the Los Hermanos Sandini developed their unique ensalada.The neighbourhood had changed and not for the better-this was in '84. :sad:

I heartily endorse Hy's Encore's Caesar, as well as the cheese toast.

Oooh, Hy's Caesar salad and cheese toast. :wub:

Throw in some Cherries Jubilee while you're at it! :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I heartily endorse Hy's Encore's Caesar, as well as the cheese toast.

Oooh, Hy's Caesar salad and cheese toast. :wub:

Throw in some Cherries Jubilee while you're at it! :wink:

I was going to chime in and suggest Hy's too! Add a nice, bloody slab of prime rib to go with my cheese toast and Caesar salad, please.

Well Feedbag.... as people are obviously enamored with a particular establishment.... Hy's... I think you can safely surmise that you have your answer :biggrin:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Umm, I trust we know that Caesar salad is generally considered to have originated in Mexico (Tijuana to be specific), not Italy?  The restaurateur who came up with it was of Italian descent, however.

We just returned from Mexico and while out to dinner one night in PV the table next to us ordered a Caesar salad and we watched in fascination as a very talented waiter went through the whole tableside procedure which I hadn't seen anyone do in years.

The highlight was when he cracked the eggs between two spoons, magically removing the egg white and dropping the egg yolks into the bowl to incorporate with the rest of the ingredients.

I mentioned to our group that Caesar salad had originated in Mexico, when a chef was short on ingredients...and they though I was making it up! :laugh:

cm

And the traditional, original Caesar does not have anchovies in it, btw.

(Just saw Julia and Jacques talking about the origins, and according to her, (and Rosa Cardini, Caesar's daughter) there were no anchovies. She wouldn't even let Jacques put them into the salad. )

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

And the traditional, original Caesar does not have anchovies in it, btw.

(Just saw Julia and Jacques talking about the origins, and according to her, (and Rosa Cardini, Caesar's daughter) there were no anchovies. She wouldn't even let Jacques put them into the salad. )

This is absolutely true, but equally unfortunate.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

You'll be happy to know that we will be serving it the proper way at my place once we open. We wont be doing at tableside however because I really dont trust anyone to make other than myself :)

I was also aware that anchovies arent really part of the first version of this salad but hell..they add so much to the final product.

Wow, step away for a day and look what happens!

Such activity for the humble yet legendary Caesar.

First off, thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Second, thanks Moosh for redirecting me to this thread.

Third, such small world stuff: I stayed at the El Cid in

Mazatlan, too, but that was 100 years ago when the room

retailed for a whopping $17 a night. Wonder what it is now.

Fourth, thanks to all recommendations for either tableside

Caesars or, at least, a good one. I knew they were invented

in Mexico but still don't understand how, where and why mayo

crept into the ingredient list. Yech.

Fifth, Deborah, that is the culinary rule of law, no? If a

garlicky Caesar is to be consumed, all those anticipating

the kind of activity alluded to by Jamie must partake.

Finally, Spinner, I came late to the table (yes, intended)

and am thusly not aware of your fine establishment at which

you "don't trust anyone but yourself to make" such a salad.

Sticking your neck out with that one; would love to test you

on it someday, but where oh where?

Off to make a Caesar!

Yes, a good Caesar is a thing of joy. In the "old days" all the best restaurants made them tableside but sadly that has been replaced by watery, tasteless lettuce drowning in horrid, white dressing devoid of flavour.

The best Caesar I can remember having was at a Ramada in Laughlin, Nevada in a train-themed restaurant. That was almost 10 years ago. Who would have imagined? It was made tableside by a waiter of suitable vintage. It really was wonderful - tangy, crunchy and full of flavour.

My favorite recipe comes from the Surreal Gourmet - you can usually find it on the Food Network website but it is referred to as the Seizure Salad.

Alas, I rarely have Caesar salad any longer - I refuse to order them in restaurants - I know I will be sorely disappointed and I cringe at the fat content when I make them myself.

Cheers,

Karole

I just scanned this thread so excuse me if this has already been mentioned, but one of the main reasons the tableside Caesar service died off is because of the fact that raw egg plays a part in the traditional prep...and as someone mentioned this is also part of the lovely heritage of the dish.

But raw egg became taboo a long time ago...so you get the more user-friendly, garlic-mayonaisse Caesar salad that is so common today.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

I use raw egg when I make it myself and have

never killed anyone. But you're right, I've heard

warnings that the elderly and super-sensitive should

not consume raw eggs, but anyone else should be

fine. Apparently the way they manufacture eggs

these days, their bacteria content is way low?

I'm fine with the not making it in front of you thing.

I just would like a good one, and suggestions on

this thread reassured me they're still out there somewhere.

Thanks everyone!