• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating cheaply in Asheville

bergerka

Well, folks, once again I'm traveling for an audition. I hit Asheville late February 25, audition the 26th...but in order to get a stellar airline ticket price, I can't leave till early (like crack of ass early) Monday morning!

Where's a girl gonna EAT?

Has to be easy to get to (audition is on UNCA campus, I'll probably be staying near there) - I don't drive, so I'll be cabbing or walking.

Has to be cheap - I'm a starving singer!

Goes practically without saying that it has to be yummy.

Thanks in advance & PM me if anyone in the area wants to have lunch or coffee. Or a martini.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Where's a girl gonna EAT?

Funny that you should mention this at this time! I will be in Asheville from the 21st-25th doing some food writing on places not to miss there .. there are a load of good places now .. many of which are downtown ... here is a site with many possibilities....

links to many places downtown

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Anything in West Asheville, where the rents tend to be lower (and the people are more fun), the meat-and-three restaurant at the entrance to the Western N.C. farmers market (sorry, forgot the name -- has Moose in the name), and Rosetta's for cafeteria-style vegan with a good late-night crowd. I seem to recall a good peanut butter fried tofu at Rosetta's. Also, EarthFare, the whole-food style supermarket, has a cafe. Too bad you're not there in growing season. They have some very good tailgate markets.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I don't know that there is much to choose from within walking distance of UNCA, but here is a link that will be of some help Asheville Dining

I can say you should try the relative newcomer Early Girl Eatery downtown Early Girl Eatery as well as the tapas restaurant called Zambra (also downtown).

There's some fun shopping downtown as well - even if you're just window shopping. make sure to check out the Mast General Store.

We love Asheville - have a great trip.

That side of town is kind of tuff, there is a good little mixican restaurant in the plaza next to the fresh market, I hate to say it but back yard burger is good and cheep, and the atlanta bread company will always satisfy. Savoy is an Italina restaurant that will be nice, but may be a little more expensive for your starving artist budget. I say for your best bet, take a cab to town, go to Rio Borrito on biltmore ave for lunch, walk around and then go to Barley's tap room for dinner. Have fun I wish I were there. :rolleyes:

"He could blanch anything in the fryolator and finish it in the microwave or under the salamander. Talented guy."

For the Martini Savoy is your place, also in my opinion, we eat out here every weekend, the best food in Asheville.

You’re problem is going to be not having a car. Also, I’m not sure where you’re going to stay near UNCA. I think the solution would be to find a place downtown. The weather this time of the year can be bad and you don’t want to walk far in it. Downtown is only 5 minutes from UNCA and you can walk to maybe 20 places to eat and drink.

BTW, what kind of audition are you doing at UNCA?

Good luck, you’ll love it here

Salsa is good and cheap, owned by the same feller who runs Zambra. Last time I was there I think the menu is written out by hand and then photocopied.

Tupelo Honey is also located downtown. It rocks, is veg friendly, and is one of the more comfortably chic places in comfortably chic Asheville.

Finally, ditto to Early Girl Eatery. It's a great place and has a sense of place that some other restaurants in the area miss out on.

William McKinney aka "wcmckinney"

An Asheville thread

Edited to add: I love Asheville! If time and weather allow, have a drink on the terrace of The Grove Park Inn.

Edited by Alex (log)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Just came back from Asheville food visit ... a bit of advice, if I might:

Zambra was fabulous! Spanish and Moroccan-inspired food and decor ... Tapas made with creativity and delightful array of great tastes in all of the dishes I ordered ... would go again in a shot! :wink:

Razaz is equally inspired and delightfully Mediterranean .. merguez lamb sausages in a port wine reduction ... bought the olive oil, OlivaVerde, at the shop connected to the restaurant ... :biggrin:

Yes, as well, to Tupelo Honey Cafe for a fabulously inventive breakfast which lasted for me all day until dinner ... cornmeal-crusted, cheddary grits cakes with a fiery red hot sauce and cold sour cream ... terrific!

Grove Park Inn? Went with high expectations .. but rather disappointed ... duck was possibly microwaved after being cooked and frozen .. came to the table cold ... returned to the kitchen, chef came out to apologize .... with all of the innovative and distinctive food now being offered in Asheville today, I would look elsewhere before choosing the GPI again ... :hmmm: .. a shame really ... :sad:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Thanks so much, folks! As it turns out, a friend from a gig a couple of years ago is living in Asheville now, so she and I will be lunching together on Saturday (she suggested the Tupelo Honey cafe, glad it's yummy!).

I'm going to try to go standby and get back Saturday night or Sunday morning...wish me luck. It'll curtail my Asheville eating adventures, unfortunately, but it'll get me home for brunch à la slkinsey, too.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous