• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best bets for Saturday Lunch in LA?

gmi3804

I'm looking for a great place for lunch on Saturday. I only have one meal in LA, and sky's the limit. However, many of the best places don't serve lunch on Saturdays or only serve brunch (which I'm not interested in). So far, the best I've found is Spago. Ordinarily that would be good, but I've been there and would rather try someplace new. Thanks!

Where are you going to be? Do you want local ethnic Mexican or Japanese? do you want a fancy meal? Would you like to sit at the beach and watch people roller skate by while you eat?

L.A. is a big place, help us to focus it down a bit and we can give you some great ideas!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Where are you going to be? Do you want local ethnic Mexican or Japanese? do you want a fancy meal? Would you like to sit at the beach and watch people roller skate by while you eat?

L.A. is a big place, help us to focus it down a bit and we can give you some great ideas!

I'm looking for something Spago-like, i.e., California/French. Fancy is good. Not into sushi. Last time in LA we ate at Sona, Grace, and Bastide. Loved all three. Looking for something along those lines, but it's difficult to find places like that open for lunch on Saturdays.

Doesn't One Pico at Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica still have their nice Saturday and Sunday brunch?

It has been a few years since I had a meal there but I liked it very much and it is decidedly French.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I like La Dijonaise in Culver City. It's close to Surfa's restaurant supply and some interesting shops on a side street/alley - one that has very interesting Japanese antiques. It's not much for atmosphere (very casual), but the food is very good, and they bake their own bread.

Right across from La Dijonaisse is Cafe Beacon. A newish restaurant that was rated #1 new restaurant in LA magazine. It won't break the bank but the food will be great. Be sure someone orders the black cod.

When you're done, or before you start, wander across the street to see what they're teaching at the New School of Cooking and around the corner to browse and pick up some great kitchen and gourmet food stuff as Surfas.

Does Campanile serve lunch? I didn't see that on your list.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Does Campanile serve lunch?  I didn't see that on your list.

FYI Campanile Restaurant serves brunch, not lunch.

Finding a restaurant for Sat. lunch (not brunch) is not so easy. Mind you, I found a few places for your consideration:

Hotel Bel Air does serve lunch at Sat. One can eat in the Restaurant, or on the Terrace next to "Swan Lake."

Kendall's Brasserie is in downtown LA by the Music Center. It is part of the Patina Group, headed by Chef Joachim Splichal.

Pacific Dining Car is more of an old-fashioned high-end steakhouse that started way back in 1921. It's located just outside of downtown LA across from Good Samaritan Hospital.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Okay, GMI, since we Californians are batting a thousand, how about going to the opposite end of the spectrum... Consider eating quintessential Los Angeles: Pink's Hot Dogs, Phillipe's French Dip, a Langer's Pastrami...

What do you think?

How about The Ivy on Robertson ?

A true Hollywood "scene" even at Saturday lunch and while some feel the food to be not great in the Spago sense, the crabcakes ARE excellent. A nice bottle of white wine, sit outdoors, weather permitting; I could do it !

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher