• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: therese - So, you want to remodel your kitchen?

therese

If it looks curly it must be quinoa, although I've never seen any in red.  I love white quinoa - now I'll look for red too.

Quinoa it is, and SaltySnack gets partial credit as well.

I happened across the red version at DFM a while back and decided to try it. A great taste (a certain grassy note), very cool texture, and faster cooking that something like brown rice or kamut. And speed is crucial when putting together a rushed school night dinner.

You cook it like white rice, for twenty minutes at a ratio of 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water (or stock). It has a weird propensity to stick to itself (and other things) in a way that reminds me of static electricity, so put a little oil in the pan and coat the grains (seeds, I suppose) before adding the water.

Can you pee in the ocean?

What comes in the box that looks like a British phone booth?

Toffees from Harrod's, I think. We got them as a gift for the children while in London a couple of years ago (a work trip to Sheffield for me, but The Man and I tacked on few days of vacation in London). Edited to add that there's a different scene on each side of the tin, very cute.

Hated Harrods, by the way. The Food Halls were cool, but the rest of it sort of gave me the creeps.

Edited by therese (log)

So  I'll ask, what do you do with the gum, was it gum? the chewy stuff in the picture? And where do you buy it? Does it come bulk? in a package?

How did you get interested in all this unusual food?  Does someone introduce you to it or do you see it in the store and decide to try it? 

You can melt/dissolve the little gum blobs to make things, but I wasn't interested in doing that, so just got a small tin (in addition to lots of candy) to try for the texture: the tin in the photograph is the tin in which it was purchased. You can chew it just the way it is (takes a little bit of softening up before you can really get chewing), and it's works a bit like chewing gum, just not sweet. On the farm my grandmother used to give us a small amount of chewing gum to help keep our mouths moist when we were walking a long ways on the farm, so maybe the locals used it for that purpose.

As for how I find interesting food items, its's definitely a case of my just coming across things. Somebody who was familiar with mastiha products, for instance, would have been unlikely to point them out to me, assuming that I wouldn't like them. This sort of thing happens pretty frequently in local ethnic restaurants, and I have to convince servers to bring me things by finally saying "It's okay, I like really weird food." Oddly enough they don't seem the least offended by that sort of statement (even though it sounds a little offensive to me, and I wouldn't make it were I not compelled to) and it works.

[edited to fix weird grammar]

Edited by therese (log)

Therese, when will you get to talking about your range?  I put the same one (looks like) in my kitchen last fall!  What others did you compare it to when choosing?  How's it working?

Blog on!

Patience, Priscilla (I do so love alliteration!).

I've still got the rest of today and tomorrow to blog. What will I talk about if I tell you about my range now?

I will go ahead and say that I'm very happy with it. :smile:

6) Our Dishwasher (Asko) Cabinet Front

\

I will be curious to know your opinion of that dishwasher. During our kitchen renovation, (which is still going on) we originally purchased the Asko 3250 and only after having paid for it, did we hear from two friends who have 3XXX series Askos and have had nothing but problems with them. Both had 2 repair calls on them in about 14 months, and one of them even though they are the type to rinse of the plates before putting them in the washer, have complained about the dishes not getting clean.

While we were attracted to the eco-friendly design of it, we got cold feet and switched back to our original choice the Bosch SHU66 series.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

6) Our Dishwasher (Asko) Cabinet Front

\

I will be curious to know your opinion of that dishwasher. During our kitchen renovation, (which is still going on) we originally purchased the Asko 3250 and only after having paid for it, did we hear from two friends who have 3XXX series Askos and have had nothing but problems with them. Both had 2 repair calls on them in about 14 months, and one of them even though they are the type to rinse of the plates before putting them in the washer, have complained about the dishes not getting clean.

While we were attracted to the eco-friendly design of it, we got cold feet and switched back to our original choice the Bosch SHU66 series.

I can't speak to the Asko, but we have a Bosch and really like it. I've also got a Bosch washer and dryer and have been pleased with them.

Therese, when will you get to talking about your range?  I put the same one (looks like) in my kitchen last fall!  What others did you compare it to when choosing?  How's it working?

Blog on!

Patience, Priscilla (I do so love alliteration!).

Even if I had any virtues, patience wouldn't be one of 'em!

However, I shall for now myself now with your:

I will go ahead and say that I'm very happy with it.  :smile:

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

So, we've looked at the "wet" parts of the kitchen, including the sink/dishwasher/dish storage/table loop. Now for the "hot" part of the kitchen, the range.

Up thread Safran notes that my range is in an unusual location, directly under a bank of windows. The arrangement was the solution to a bit of a dilemma: how could I keep windows on that wall but not have to move the range to the island? By bumping the range out from the wall 6" I was able to meet the local building code and also increase my usable counter space: the window ledge is granite, like the counters that flank the range, and it's great storage for things that I use constantly, like salt and oil and paper towels. During the day the windows supply nice light (though not too bright, particuarly in the summer, as otherwise I'd have problems storing some things there) and a bit of a view (into my neighbor's garden). At night the kitchen lights reflect off the shiny black panes, echoing the pattern in the tile backsplash.

No window dressings of any sort at either these windows or anywhere else in the kitchen: I don't like anything in the kitchen that can't be easily washed. Elaborate curtains are for formal rooms, at least in my house.

The range is Frigidaire/Electrolux, 40" wide with five gas burners (of which two are "simmer") and two ovens, both electric. The larger works as either conventional or convection, the smaller conventional only. Nice storage drawer on the bottom. Cooktop controls on the deck (as I like them), oven controls in the back. I do very little baking, so I've not pushed the ovens to the extent that I'm likely to have revealed anything other that very obvious flaws. But so far so good. My mom bakes when she visits and she's been happy with it.

The range is flanked on each side by 2' wide counters which end abruptly at cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling, providing the "sheltered" feeling that I wanted. The exhaust hood (Kitchenaid, a narrow that's actually designed to go over an island) brings the ceiling height down, and is, of course, the "chimney" for the hearth. It's recently started making weird noises (though it still works) and I'll be hassling with that sometime soon.

Here's an evening shot of the range, hood, and adjacent counters:

gallery_11280_816_360501.jpg

The cabinet to the left opens to reveal three pull out shelves for pots and pans: lids on the top, sauce pans and stock pots in the middle, skillets on the bottom. To the immediate right of the range is a bank of drawers that contain spatulas, whisks, etc. in the top, mixing bowls and colanders in the middle, salad spinner, pyrex dishes in the bottom.

gallery_11280_816_125489.jpg

Daytime oblique views from each side of the range:

gallery_11280_816_270374.jpg

gallery_11280_816_192737.jpg

gallery_11280_816_58315.jpg

This last shot looks past the range into the family room through the first arched doorway, and then into the dining room through the second arched doorway. So although the formal dining room isn't immediately adjacent to the kitchen it's not far, and a straight shot.

Both of these arched doors line up with a window in the dining room, so the effect is "see through" all the back to the kitchen (an idea used elsewhere in the house by the original architect).

More on the dining room and other parts of the kitchen tomorrow. :smile:

Oh, wondering what we had for dinner? Here's a hint:

gallery_11280_820_319969.jpg

Let's see if anybody can figure out what this is.  :cool:

Finally something I can identify.

That appears to be aluminum foil. ReynoldsWrap brand? Perhaps a sheet from the 50 foot roll?

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

That appears to be aluminum foil.  ReynoldsWrap brand?  Perhaps a sheet from the 50 foot roll?

And to think that I considered pointing out that "packet of something wrapped in aluminum foil" would not be the winner in this instance, but didn't.

And I don't know the brand of the foil in any case. :smile:

Samosa?

Or a grande Spanikopita?

Love your little Orangina poster btw.  :wink:

Excellent suggestions, but no winners yet.

The little posters on side walls of the cabinets flanking the hearth are actually large postcards made of cardboard coated with a thin layer of metal. Very light, so I could just stick them on the cabinet without any nails, and not grease catchers.

The products advertised include Orangina, pastis, champagne, soap, chocolate, absinthe (you can't see this one in any of the pictures) and Petite Marmite au Fromage. Boy wants me to take a picture of the last one for him to use as an avatar.

Before it was unwrapped, I was going to say foil-wrapped chicken. I have no real idea what that is, other than it appears on the menus of "Chinese" restaurants in Sacramento. I suspect it's not Chinese at all...

Jen Jensen

Before it was unwrapped, I was going to say foil-wrapped chicken. I have no real idea what that is, other than it appears on the menus of "Chinese" restaurants in Sacramento. I suspect it's not Chinese at all...

The packet does look like the little triangular packets of minced chicken (and ginger? I was post partum when we lived in California, so wasn't forming too many new memories :smile: ) described on Chinese menus in California as either paper-wrapped or foil-wrapped chicken. I've not seen that item since moving back to Atlanta. Too bad, as Boy (who was then three) would eat them and because it wasn't fried it wasn't too terrible a Chinese restaurant item for a child.

Here's something else that I had at the same restaurant:

gallery_11280_820_166497.jpg

Obviously dessert, and also pretty obviously some sort of milkshake or ice cream float, right? But here's a picture of the entire glass:

gallery_11280_820_135181.jpg

Okay, so a tip from Varmint's got me all set for more pics. And that's good, 'cause I've got quite a few to post from last night.

Here's breakfast:

gallery_11280_820_47369.jpg

It's not from the restaurant where we had dinner, but was purchased from a shop in the same neighborhood.