• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Satay Malaysian Cuisine

Pan

I've had two dinners at this place on Kissena Blvd. and Holly Av. and am now prepared to recommend it as good. I've had Ipoh Bean Sprouts, Poh Piah, and Beef Stew Curry Mee. Being beef stew, the meat is a little chewy and fatty, but that's to be expected. I also bought a kueh for $7 to go, which was not that interesting. The proprietress told me that it's better in Malaysia when gula melaka (palm sugar) is used, but that her customers didn't like it so sweet. But anyway, the ingredients have been fresh and the food has otherwise been tasty. The proprietress, who is from Kuala Lumpur, and at least some of the waitstaff speak very fluent Malay in addition to Cantonese and English, and the menus have pictures of clear skies with coconut palms and wau bulan (traditional Malay kites). Tourism Malaysia posters are on the walls, but the decor is otherwise plain, with prices to match (about $10 for the sprouts plus the curry mee tonight).

The restaurant has been open about 3 months, and I kept seeing it when the Q27 bus I take to and from Queensborough Community College turns onto Kissena Blvd., so I decided to get off early once and try the place. Since it was fairly good, I tried again today. The location is walkable from the Flushing train station but not too close, but many buses ply the Kissena Blvd. route.

Satay Malaysian Cuisine

46-01/03 Kissena Blvd.

Flushing, NY 11355

(718) 888-1868

There is also a Hoboken location which existed first:

99 Washington St.

Hoboken, NJ 07030

(201) 386-8688/9868

I obviously cannot vouch for the Hoboken location but would be curious to see any reports on it.

Interestingly enough, I have yet to try their satay. But as long as the place pleases me, I will continue to explore their menu. Perhaps some roti canai will be on my agenda some time in the next two weeks.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'd posted a query about the Hoboken location in the NJ forum last year; I'd walked by the place one afternoon & the menu looked interesting. The replies from the NJ crew who'd been there seemed to amount to a pretty uniform "nothing special" so I didn't pursue it further.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

My only basis for comparison is Montclair NJ. Was a place there called Taste of Asia that we quite liked, as did other eGullet folk.

I'd still be inclined to try the Hoboken place should the occasion present itself, but one hasn't materialized yet.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Not to interject, but has anyone gone to Curry Leaves (40th Road, Queens?)

I can't speak for the entrees there (haven't had them yet), but the Keuh is heads and tails over what I had elsewhere (at Sanur on Doyers Street.) The Keuh Dadar, particularly, was great! My only objection - you never know what they'll have available for the day - they're not consistent on what they put out.

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com