• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking competition suggestions

origamicrane

I really want to avoid the cliches too!!!

originally they asked me if i knew how to make chow mein and sweet and sour chicken!!!!  :angry:

but they decided to have it at a chinese cooking school and i know they going to make a fuss about turning the cookers on with the knee  :rolleyes:

and the difference between light and dark soya sauce  :raz:  oh well its just for western viewer i guess.

Hey, I would turn on the burners with one knee - that's how we roll in the restaurant!!! :laugh:

How about "Hack Jew Ngow Pah"? The black pepper steak on a hot pan? That's got great visual appeal and is not cliched. Westerners will be able to relate to that as well.

actually i really like black pepper steak but think they decided on curry crab.

oh! it just that they think turning the cooker on with the knee is like this really big skill!!

Actually virtually all the staff I have had through my takeaway through the years have never really used their knee except to turn the fire down. :huh:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"