• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corn Muffins

Verjuice

I can't get enough of these. Ever since rediscovering them two weeks ago, I have craved cornmeal is one form or another every day. Mostly, though, I just crave the muffins themselves.

I just moved to New England from the Southwest and don't remember seeing any when I was living out there. I'm aware that many purists won't touch a sweetened cornbread, but I think these are fantastic and would love to get my paws on a killer recipe. I recently bought an incredible corn muffin loaded with raspberries at Whole Foods in Bellingham, MA. Delicious!

Anybody have a recipe to share?

Edited by Verjuice (log)

i usually just use the mixes ..in the tiny box but have been playing with it lately to make corn pancakes...i buzz most of a can of corn with an immersion blender then add it all to the prepared mix with some cayenne pepper and make dollar size pancakes mmmmm

I worked someplace years ago that did blueberry corn muffins, now the only thing better than a grilled buttered corn muffin is a grilled buttered bluberry muffin......except a blueberry corn muffin

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Try the muffins with chopped pickled jalapeños mixed in, then topped with a small ladle of good Texas Red Chili on top. You'll be creating a whole new meal :raz:.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

Here's my 'quick' recipe (just made some today, to go with a killer chocolate mole sauce meal I'm cooking, tonight):

3/4 cup yellow cornmeal

3/4 cup *blue* cornmeal

(or all yellow, of course, is fine)

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1 egg

2 tbsp corn oil

1 cup buttermilk

1 tbsp honey

Mix the dry stuff; make a well in the middle of the bowl.

Mix the wet stuff thoroughly. Add to dry stuff, and mix just enough to blend ingredients.

Pour into 6 paper muffin holders, or a well greased 8" cake pan.

place in a 375 degree oven, 'til a toothpick (or spaghetti strand!) comes out clean.

(about 20 minutes for muffins)

EAT :)

additions: chopped jalapenos

cheddar cheese on top

Edited by cacao (log)

The recipes sound great, but I'm more interested in sweet corn muffins than in savory cornbreads... although the idea of a dessert cornbread is very appealing.

Rooftop 1000, a health food store not far from here sells homemade blueberry corn muffins in their bakery, and they are amazing. Today I had my corn muffin grilled as suggested, but I made some whipped maple butter to slather it with.

I think the recipe that will be the type of corn muffins that you like will be found

here.

These are the light, sweet and very tasty corn muffins similar to the ones you described.

They are totally different from the denser, and less sweet (no sugar) corn muffins known in the south.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

• 2 months later...