• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Borough Market

I'm sure we've discussed Borough Market before, but I finaly got around to visiting the place on Friday. I was knocked out by how great it smells, especially the large veg stall with all those wonderful herbs, and you can smell the Jersey Royals a mile off.  

My favourite however is the Neal Yards Diary shop which should carry an X rating in my opinion. God, it was heaven, and I didn't even try any of it.

I was a might disappointed with the fish, which is wildly over priced. £14kg for Monkfish cheek is taking the piss, it's the stuff they usually throw away for goodness sake (very good though they are). I was also suprised to see such a lot of cling wrapped meat.

However, I was dreaming up dishes as I wandered about and will be back very soon for some Glouster Old Spot, some Montgomery Cheddar and loads of that lovely veg. Cannot wait.

However, I was dreaming up dishes as I wandered about and will be back very soon for some Glouster Old Spot . . .

Andy -- If you noticed, were there any cooked items involving Old Spot or other rare breeds (e.g., ham; chops that had been cooked)?  :wink:

Borough Market, like eGullet, appears to be relatively uncensored -- in other words, there's no quality guarantee just because a particular dealer or product is represented here. We had a crab tonight from a stall whose crab has been good; this one was dry and relatively tasteless, although not nasty or ammoniac.

Borough Market doesn't qualify as a Farmers' Market, since foods are not necessarily from within a given radius or sold by the maker/processor. But there is an enormous variety of good foods which couldn't so qualify, such as olives and olive oils from Greece and the range of wonderful Spanish comestibles from Brindisa. When I demonstrated brandade for the Guild of Food Writers last Monday I went to Brindisa for their loin of salt cod because I knew I could count on its quality. There's talk of making Farmers' Market standards compulsory; Borough Market would be the poorer for it.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

John - although I was suprised to see the cling film, I wouldn't want to see Borough Market forced to adhere to any particular rules, the majority of the stuff looked fabulous. It has a real atmosphere to it which may disappear if standardised in anyway.

Cabrales - I didn't notice any cooked products from specific breeds, but my guess is that there almost certainly is. I am going back a week on Tuesday, but Simon may well be able to help you on this point sooner than that.

However, I was dreaming up dishes as I wandered about and will be back very soon for some Glouster Old Spot . . .

Andy -- If you noticed, were there any cooked items involving Old Spot or other rare breeds (e.g., ham; chops that had been cooked)?  :wink:

C - The Ginger Pig sells only 'raw' Gloucester OS. and other breeds in ham, bacon, etc. format, as far as I can remember, BUT they might make something up for you in advance if you call ahead to orderr (like a whole ham or something, for a party, if that's what you have in mind) as I do recall they had cooked items around Christmas time. I'm not sure what counts as a rare breed, there are people who sell ostrich steaks (and eggs and feather dusters); venison; mutton; fowl; and other "meats" - but again, uncooked cuts. But there is always someone cooking sausage or something else on site...

The chorizo sausages grilled in front of Brindisa and served up in a bun with rocket are good as well -- witness the interminable queues of enthusiasts who cheerfully wait for them a quarter hour or more. Just before you reach the grill there's a table of olive oils and vinegars in dishes, together with cubes of bread. As you arrive there's a rush of hungry people gobbling the marinade in advance of the rocket.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Last time I went to Borough Market-about 2 months ago-Stefano Cavallini,he of the Halkin fame, was there cooking pasta and sauces and promoting his book and other products.Has he gone into the wholesale business or something? I had the best Italian meal I've ever had in London at his restaurant a couple of years ago.

I find the chorizo sausages John refers to a bit greasy for my taste, but there's another chap cooking delicious Caribbean specialities and another serving an amazingly restorative fish soup.

Apologies for my ignorance, but what times are Borough Market open?

No reason to apologise.

Thursdays 12-18h00 - NB only a few proprietors

Friday 12-18h00 - most proprietors

Saturday 9-16h00 - fullest complement of proprietors

Also, not all companies are there every week - if you go, at least one of the people from the "london's larder" office is usually walking around, and can give you a brochure with more comprehensive info on who's who, who's where, and when...

I'm sure we've discussed Borough Market before, but I finaly got around to visiting the place on Friday. I was knocked out by how great it smells,..."especially the large veg stall with all those wonderful herbs, and you can smell the Jersey Royals a mile off."  

"I was a might disappointed with the fish, which is wildly over priced. £14kg for Monkfish cheek is taking the piss, it's the stuff they usually throw away for goodness sake (very good though they are). I was also suprised to see such a lot of cling wrapped meat."

Andy in fact I'd argue that almost every single trader at Boroguh Market is taking the piss in terms of price - but I guess I'm comparing again with France or even the US, which I guess it not fair but it's shocking, considering that England produces so much of its own.

It's true the variety, abundance and availability of what we consider "rare" is unparalleled. But there are no bargains, surely (except perhaps, in fact, Ginger Pig) - mainly because I think there's very little competition.

The one thing the traders at Borough do offer is pretty good customer service, in that if you call them during the week, they do set things aside for you or bring something 'special' - the fishy folks, particularly. Again I think it's a matter of supply and demand...I'm resigned to the fact that present company excluded, there's just not much demand. Standards and expectations are generally pretty low so most visitors are happy to take what they can get; so the 'supply' for those who've raised the bar a bit higher are bound to be critical. Still, we can only keep waving the flag...

Does Brighton have anything comparable?