• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

help with chocolate meringue...going runny

cakedecorator1968

Hi Everybody!

I've tried 3 times to make chocolate meringue for piped meringue shells but the meringue is failing on me.

I start with a nice swiss meringue then add cocoa to the bowl and whip about 10 seconds. After a few seconds the meringue goes runny and ends up way too loose to pipe.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong?

My approx. recipe:

8 oz whites

450 g sugar

cream of tartar

3 Tbsp Cocoa

Thank-you!

The problem is cocoa, while having almost no fat, does have some fat, and fat as you know is the enemy of meringue. Instead of trying to whip it in, I would suggest sifting the cocoa with some powdered sugar and gently folding it in. There will still be some deflation, but it should still be pipeable.

can't get too much clearer than that. For an experiment add the cocoa in and let the meringue whip for a couple of minutes, it will practially loose all its air.

Try it with almond meal too, I like to sift a little fine ground almond in with my cocoa to make cocoa almond meringue, aka "cocoa dacquoise.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

You can try a defatted cocoa powder - they're pretty hard to find, but i believe there's a spanish company making it ... natra perhaps? defatted powders are literally fat free (well, almost - there may be up to 0.5% residual fat stuck away in there...)