• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to well-marinate Chicken

mjamonica

Hi!

I used to make great marinated chicken breast! I used to buy them at the store, and soak them in a bowl of italian dressing, keep it in the fridge for 12 hours, and cook it.

Now, I do that and the herbs barely penetrate the surface of the chicken :huh: ?

What happened? Is it because the herbs penetrate fat more than muscle and back then I was too poor to buy good chicken?

Once I tried buying an actual Marinade at the store....big mistake! It was so thick it didn't penetrate the breast at all!

What am I missing here? :unsure:

BTW, I'd like to stay away from salt, sugar and saturated fat in my marinades.

Thanks, Monica

*NEED*: Lemongrass Powder, Grapeskin Powder, Flavor Oils (oil-based)

If you want a marinade to penetrate, salt is key, it essentially becomes a brine.

And really, for the vast majorit of people, there is no reason to monitor or reduce salt intakein our daily diets, there are far more effective means of aiding blood pressure and other supposedly salt related ailments.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Not sure if you know or even considered but vacuum-packing or using a Foodsaver-type appliance is extremely effective if you have access to any such device.

...I thought I had an appetite for destruction but all I wanted was a club sandwich.

Try pounding the breasts out to a uniform size before marinating which will allow greater penetration,also ty introducing a acid such as lemon,lime,wine-good luck

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard