• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why Am I Adding Before I Degrease?

judiu

Most recipes I've ever read tell you to "brown the meat in a pan with the onions and garlic", or some such, and then to "drain the fat well". Ok, so if fat carries flavor, why not drain the meat when it's 90% done, and then add the flavoring agents and aromatics? Does this make sense only to me?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I have no idea why recipes suggest doing that. Perhaps it is a holdover from the big anti-fat eating wave, but I know I certainly never drain fat, well, certainly not all of that fat (occasionally when I have a huge pan full of the stuff I will waste some of it) before continuing to cook. Extra fat never hurts a dish.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

The seasoning (whether aromatic veggies or herbs & spices) added to meat while the meat browns is to add a layer of flavor you won't get if you add the seasoning after the meat is cooked or mostly cooked. Sure, the stuff you're draining off has flavor, but it's done its job already and doesn't need to stick around.

Some cuts of meat need to have the fat drained or the final dish will be too greasy. I can't imagine cooking any dish that calls for hamburger and not draining off the fat.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

can't imagine cooking any dish that calls for hamburger and not draining off the fat.

I think that entirely depends on the type of dish. If it is a meatloaf or something similar, then yes, I drain the fat as I can't really find a way to pass it off a gravey... However, browning hamburger for a red sauce, or chili, or goulash, or whatever else, leave the fat in there. It will blend with the rest of the sauce and just make the whole dish much richer and more flavorful.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

have you tried not draining the fat until the meat is 90% done?

Most recipes I've ever read tell you to "brown the meat in a pan with the onions and garlic", or some such, and then to "drain the fat well". Ok, so if fat carries flavor, why not drain the meat when it's 90% done, and then add the flavoring agents and aromatics? Does this make sense only to me?

If you sear the meat at high temperatures, often the oil becomes burned. This is bitter and should be drained off.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Yes.

Which is why it's best to use grapeseed oil or clarified butter, both of which have high smoking points.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the input,y'all! Mostly what I was referring to was hamburger-type preparations, which yes, I usually drain first, then add onions,etc to keep as much flavor as possible. Jinmyo, I always drain fat when prepping a roast on top of the stove, as you suggest.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Where are you reading these recipes? You brown the meat seperately, drain the fat and then add the aromatics for home cooking anyway.

The steps would be different in a Fine dining commercial kitchen depending on the dish.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com