• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Pollo Campero opening in Dallas

Lyle

For those in Dallas, TX;

El Pollo Campero appears to be opening on NW Highway between Webb Chappel and I-35. It's on the north side of the street but I didn't catch the exact intersection. No clue when it will open but the ediface appeared complete and windows were installed, as was the identifying signage.

Will update it's opening as it's (loosely) on my way to the bank.

[moved from DC & DelMarVa forum into Texas - Rocks.]

Edited by DonRocks (log)

Rice pie is nice.

Well . . . We need someone to be there and record the bedlam that seems to ensue whenever one of these opens up. :biggrin: Oh yeah, and taste the chicken, too.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

But I don't have any Guatemalan friends.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Well . . . We need someone to be there and record the bedlam that seems to ensue whenever one of these opens up.  :biggrin:  Oh yeah, and taste the chicken, too.

The one they opened on Bellaire in Houston had bedlam but they opened one on Wayside in the barrio and practically no one showed up. There is never a wait. I don't think Mexican-Americans dig Guatemalan pollo.

For what it's worth, I gave the one in Houston a try a while back after seeing the long lines out the door of the Bellaire location. I was not too impressed. Tasted like your average Popeye's or KFC with some different seasoning in there. The side dishes however are certainly unique and can be quiet good.

Alison Cook reviewed the place and concluded that it is all in the chicken. Meaning that the chickens in Guatemala simply taste better since they are not as lean and falvorless as your typical American megamart chicken. So by using the chickens available here, the pollo is not that much better than other chains'.

However, please give it a try and let us know what you think.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 3 years later...

a location on Preston Rd. just south of George Bush Turnpike opened up a few weeks ago. I drive past it very day to and from work. Every day I drive home, the parking lot is jam packed and there is a long line at the drive through. It's like that EVERY evening.

Well, today I worked sorta late. Left the office about 8:00. decided it would be a good chance to try the place. Went there and the lot was still pretty full and still had a line at the drive through. I went inside just to see what it looked like and get my meal to go (I just wanted to get home. long day).

I was impressed that meals served for dine in used real plates and bowls and baskets and silverware. As far as my fried chicken? It was pretty good. Different than Popeye's. Not as much breading on it. I''d probably go back. But I would get another side. the black beans and rice were a little watery for me.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Alison Cook reviewed the place and concluded that it is all in the chicken. Meaning that the chickens in Guatemala simply taste better since they are not as lean and falvorless as your typical American megamart chicken. So by using the chickens available here, the pollo is not that much better than other chains'.

However, please give it a try and let us know what you think.

Elie

Was the "chicken is not as lean in Guatemala" Alison Cook's assertion or yours? I've eaten chicken on five continents and have yet to have chicken that is as fatty (yet manages to be less flavorful) as American supermarket birds.

I actually like Polo Campero a lot. I would eat there over KFC or hartz anyday and its probably a tie with Popeyes. The original Frenchy's is better but the branches are more salty than I can handle and thats salty.

I actually like Polo Campero a lot. I would eat there over KFC or hartz anyday and its probably a tie with Popeyes. The original Frenchy's is better but the branches are more salty than I can handle and thats salty.

Sorry, Frenchy's is a Houston Fried Chicken joint and does not pertain in this conversation.