• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
Gifted Gourmet

Hollywood goes gastronomic: Sandler or Bourdain?

2. the food-related film i saw so far is Chocolat(would that count).  A lot of people are saying that babette's feast is a good food-related movie. Has anyone seen that movie?

Yes, it would 'count', if anyone was actually 'counting' ... :laugh:

and a hearty 'yes' to "has anyone seen that movie?" :wink:

Hard to imagine how many people who frequent eGullet would have missed it either in the theatre or on video ... the ultimate foodie flick, I'll wager ... :cool:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

persiflage???? :blink:

and most times no, too stereotypical. but I did like chocolate with mr. depp.

persiflage???? :blink:

:laugh: Not a form of Italian parsley but rather:

Light good-natured talk; banter.

Light or frivolous manner of discussing a subject.

Shaun of the Dead.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

2. the food-related film i saw so far is Chocolat(would that count).  A lot of people are saying that babette's feast is a good food-related movie. Has anyone seen that movie?

Yes, it would 'count', if anyone was actually 'counting' ... :laugh:

and a hearty 'yes' to "has anyone seen that movie?" :wink:

Hard to imagine how many people who frequent eGullet would have missed it either in the theatre or on video ... the ultimate foodie flick, I'll wager ... :cool:

Gah. Hideous.

Prefer Shaun of the Dead,

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Gah. Hideous.

Prefer Shaun of the Dead,

But not "Hey Dude, Where's my Burrito?" :rolleyes:

Mores the pity .... :hmmm:

Yes.

Like Water For Chocolate

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

1. Yes

2. Babette's Feast - another vote here. I saw it for the first time in college, own the DVD, love it still. I liked Chocolat enough to buy it, too, but I'm not that much of a chocolate fan.

A bit off-topic, I also tend to enjoy books that describe the food that the characters are eating more than books that don't. I hate it when a novel says something about the characters eating a feast and then never says a word about what the feast consisted of! I find myself "getting into" a novel more when it goes into detail, when I can picture the characters eating their meal.

Re Babette's Feast, I just didn't find any of the dishes to be of real interest. If you'd eat 'em, fine.

edit:

On the other hand, the meat in Shaun of the Dead was at least rare.

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

Re Babette's Feast, I just didn't find any of the dishes to be of real interest. If you'd eat 'em, fine.

Not a big ortolan fan? :laugh: transcendental gastronomy to be sure ... :wink:

Yes, except as was already noted, when kitchen staff are gratuitously gunned down and no one notices. :angry:

Babette's Feast. :smile:

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson

Sign in to follow this