• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Picnic Grounds

wfnugent

Can anyone recommend a location for a familty reunion picnic? This "little" gathering has swelled from a modest 20-30 to more than one hundred - far more than my little 3 bedroom ranch can handle.

Specifically, we are looking for a place that will let us bring in food and beer and have enough room for kids running around, games, etc. The time is likely the end of July, early August. Northern, central and west central NJ are all good as would lower western Rockland county.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

As always, many thanks.

Bill

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

Can anyone recommend a location for a familty reunion picnic?  This "little" gathering has swelled from a modest 20-30 to more than one hundred - far more than my little 3 bedroom ranch can handle. 

Specifically, we are looking for a place that will let us bring in food and beer and have enough room for kids running around, games, etc.  The time is likely the end of July, early August.  Northern, central and west central NJ are all good as would lower western Rockland county.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

As always, many thanks.

Bill

Craigmeur Ski area in West Milford (Newfoundland) has a well organized program which handles off-ski-season company gatherings, family picnics, etc. They allow you to bring in your own alcohol if you wish. Ballfields, volleyball, etc.

Depending on the size of your group, you can rent the entire place.

The Morris County Parks Commission also makes many of its parks (Loantaka Brook, Lewis Morris, etc) available on a rservations basis. Again, beer is OK, but you have to supply volley ball, etc equipment.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

in central jersey there is mercer county park which has a lovely boat house and does a really nice job. also there are a few camps down around here that do great corporate parties black bear camp in jackson nj. a bit further south is the atlantic club in manasquan they also have a pool, basketball etc. allaire state paek in wall nj is very and also a historical working farm

How about doing something up at Harriman? It's just over the border in NY state...and it's GORGEOUS up there!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I would recommend Duke Island Park in Somerset County - we went to a couple of Picnics there this past summer, and had a good time. They can accommodate, with a reservation, groups of up to 250. Lots of room for a picnic, on-site grills, and space for kicking around a football or playing other games.

There's only one (major) caveat - Somerset Park County rules do not permit alcoholic beverages. If you want to be able to drink beer, you'll have to go somewhere else :(

http://www.somersetcountyparks.org/

I'd also follow up on Curlz's recommendation. We went to a picnic at Lake Sebago Beach a couple of years ago, and had a blast. This place has its own man-made sandy beach, and lots of room for for picnics and play. Again, though, if I remember right, alcohol is not permitted.

Edited by jb_973 (log)

I was going to mention Harriman as well, I go hiking up there all the time - as Curlz says, it's a gorgeous area - but I believe that they too are no-alcohol.

I know it's not 100% enforced, the rangers can't be everywhere every minute. But they've got some new young rangers on the staff who are very much by the book. Me, I wouldn't chance it.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Lewis Morris Park in Morristown is definitely a good call, then...unless they have changed their regulations, you can bring alcohol in with a permit.

There are also a few big parks in Bergen County...two on Riverside Ave in Lyndhurst that are constantly in use by large groups like yours. There is also one up in Paramus but the name escapes me...perhaps the Perlows or someone else can remember the name?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Thanks for that link, ghost! Van Saun is the park I was thinking of...fwiw, in addition to the 'usual' park items, they have pony rides and a great little zoo! Something to keep in mind if you're going to have lots of kids there.

The Lyndhurst parks that I mentioned are Riverside North and South; North has an awesome (still new) dog park in it, along with walking trails, and TONS of picnic space. I believe they have grills there as well. South is a bit different, but since they're all of 1/2 mile apart, if you go look at one, you can check out the other!

The Van Saun zoo is pretty cool & has an unexpectedly rich feline collection. Parking is sheer hell there on Sundays tho.

I believe that one of those riverside parks has a small pavilion, I remember seeing some sort of huge extended family gathering there last summer. I'm pretty sure I saw beer.....

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Correct on all counts, ghost!

many years ago I went to party I shouldnt have been at .......at Dunkerhook in Fairlawn/Paramus....they definately allowed beer back then

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association