• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Restaurants New Year's Day for lunch/dinner?

mduda

Hi everyone...

A last minute opportunity has arisen...Could the wise and kind minds here suggest a restaurant that would be open New Year's Day (preferably for lunch, but dinner is OK as a fallback plan) in the Montclair or Rutherford, N.J. area for a date?

Thanks for your help!

-Matt

Edited by mduda (log)

Matt-

Montclair is chock full of good restaurants...not sure about what's open on NYD, or what kind of food or atmosphere you're looking for. You could call any of the following (and find threads about them on eG if you do a search), depending on your taste/wallet and see if they're open:

Sesame (Chinese)

Indigo Smoke (BBQ-great food, BYO, nice atmosphere, mediocre service)

Epernay (French/$$$)

Aozora (Sushi)

Dmetris or Greek Delights for the obvious :raz:

Holsten's is an old-fashioned ice cream parlor that also serves food...that might be a fun, quirky date spot! It's technically in Bloomfield--at the intersection of Watchung Ave and Broad Street, not far from Brookdale Park or the GSP.

In Rutherford, I think your options are FAR more limited:

Village Gourmet, which has a great atmosphere, is BYO, and the food is decent

Cafe Matisse ($$$)

Park & Orchard, which has a great wine list, huge bar, and can get rather noisy

Hope some of these help!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Happy to help. Let us know where you end up and how it went! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."