• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Results--what worked?

pam claughton

Okay, which recipes did you try for the first time over the holidays that worked so well that you'll not only make again, but will DEFINITELY make next year?

I had two,

One, thanks to Dejah, who posted to my Killer Appetizer thread with an amazing suggestion for Spicy Beef Cigars, a spiced beef mixture rolled like a cigar in phyllo dough, and baked. These were a huge hit.

As was the Puff Pastry with fig spread, chopped proscuitto, fresh thyme and goat cheese, baked quickly, and was a snap to make. Recipe from new Cookbook, the 2004-2005 best recipes (actually came from Whole Foods). I made another app from the book, an Amanda Hesser New York Times cheese ball, with a meditteranean flair, using toasted cumin and coriander, fresh mint, cream cheese, goat cheese, romano cheese, lemon zest, and rolled in chopped pistachio nuts. I liked it, but it was very different, and not the crowd's favorite cheese ball. VERY time consuming to make, so this one got a thumbs down.

:) Pam

Okay, which recipes did  you try for the first time over the holidays that worked so well that you'll not only make again, but will DEFINITELY make next year?

This really isn't the time of year for me to be making new recipes - holidays are about traditional food and old favorites around here :-).

Having said that, I did try a couple of new recipes this season - I'm counting it as Thanksgiving through New Years as the holidays.

First success was the mushroom soup from the Les Halles cookbook. Yes, I know everyone and their brother has tried it, but the first time through it was just about perfect. I'll be making it again.

Second was the ham and egg cups from "A Very Queer Eye Christmas". Yes, watching that episode of the show was like watching a train wreck, but there's nothing so bad that you can't learn SOMETHING from it. I kept turning off the sound because the dialogue was SO painful, so I didn't get the whole recipe, but I figured I could fake it.

And so I did. For the lucky ones who didn't suffer through this show, a slice of deli ham is put into a muffin cup so as to form a crust/shell, then a spoonful of a sauteed mushroom/herb/cream mixture is put into the bottom, then an egg is broken on top and the whole mess is put in the oven to bake until the eggs are cooked.

I didn't hear what herb they used, probably parsley, but I used thyme, because I think thyme and mushrooms are a match made in heaven. And I did hear that they wanted to bake the eggs at 350 for 15 minutes for soft set, but that's just too soft for me - 20 minutes was more to my liking.

These were so good that not only did I make them once, I made them again for our Christmas supper last night. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the form.

Marcia.

Edited by purplewiz (log)

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Second was the ham and egg cups from "A Very Queer Eye Christmas". Yes, watching that episode of the show was like watching a train wreck, but there's nothing so bad that you can't learn SOMETHING from it. I kept turning off the sound because the dialogue was SO painful, so I didn't get the whole recipe, but I figured I could fake it.

And so I did. For the lucky ones who didn't suffer through this show, a slice of deli ham is put into a muffin cup so as to form a crust/shell, then a spoonful of a sauteed mushroom/herb/cream mixture is put into the bottom, then an egg is broken on top and the whole mess is put in the oven to bake until the eggs are cooked.

I didn't hear what herb they used, probably parsley, but I used thyme, because I think thyme and mushrooms are a match made in heaven. And I did hear that they wanted to bake the eggs at 350 for 15 minutes for soft set, but that's just too soft for me - 20 minutes was more to my liking.

These were so good that not only did I make them once, I made them again for our Christmas supper last night. I'm looking forward to experimenting with the form.

Marcia.

Glad to hear they worked out. I saw that on the fab five special and thought it looked great - who would have thought! ha ha

I made some herb butter for a turkey - fresh thyme, parsley, sage and winter savory. I don't know that this counts as a 'dish' but I hadn't made it before and it turned out pretty good. I would definately use the butter again at a holiday (or anytime).

My first shot at Parker House rolls didn't work. They were rolls, but weren't Parker House rolls. For gifts this year, we gave away candy. That, with the exception of peanut brittle and taffy, was all new to me. I only destroyed one recipe. But my English toffee and Sea Glass (plain lollipop candy, broken up) were huge hits.

To paraphrase: There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about with food.

the sea glass idea sounds lovely.

I rocked a short ribs recipe that I made up after reading a few basic recipes. Star anise, lemon and orange zest, elephant garlic, mustard powder, mustard, lemon juice, wine, carrots, celery, rosemary, nutmeg, smidge cinnamon. this knocked their socks off (and mine too) I wrote up the recipe, but since I'm no recipe writer...common sense needs to be employed. uh, dont overfill the pot? :wink:

Short Ribs alla Emma

8 lbs short ribs

3 tbsp olive oil

2 bags mini carrots

4 stalks celery

3 yellow onions

6 stars of anise

1 tbsp salt

2 tsp pepper

2 tsp mustard powder

zest of 1 lemon and one orange

juice of one lemon

1.5 tbsp Dijon mustard

9 cups beef stock

rosemary

assload elephant garlic

2 32 oz canned whole Italian tomatoes

2.5 cups red wine

Preheat oven to 350F. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.

brown ribs on all sides in olive oil over medium high heat. Transfer to a bowl.

Add all vegetables except for tomatoes to remaining fat and cook until browning. Add garlic, anise stars, zest, rosemary, lemon juice and salt and pepper . Place short ribs back into the pot and add the wine and some of the beef stock (almost cover the ribs but not quite). Add as many tomatoes as will fit into the pot and some of the tomato juice from the can. Bring the ribs to a simmer and place the pot into the oven and cook for two hours. Inspect and adjust liquids. Cook for two more hours or until the short ribs are super-tender. Remove the ribs and the vegetables from the liquid and set them aside. De-fat the remaining liquid, remove the anise seeds. Whisk in mustard powder and mustard. Add the remaining beef stock and the remaining tomatoes. Reduce over high heat until thick. Adjust seasonings and replace ribs. Simmer for half an hour.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

The most successful of the new dishes we tried was a soup we had for lunch on Christmas Eve. The idea was to tie us over until while we prepared main meal, went ice skating, etc. Since the 'theme', if it could be called such, was foods that might be scene at an Italian Christmas celebration we chose zuppa di castagne e cavolo nero (chestnut and kale soup) from Dec 2003 Gourmet (recipe from Epicurious here). We substituted a seafood broth for chicken broth and left out the pancetta (used lots of salt in the onion/garlic sautee to help balance) to stick with the tradition of no meat or fowl on Christmas Eve. Delicious and hearty soup, perfect for a cold day.

A couple other new and successful dishes include a salt cod and fennel canneloni and rapini sauteed with lots of garlic and marinated anchovy.

In all, a great couple of days of celebration and eating.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I had only one first-time-out dish this past month--a turkey soup with mint and sprout garnish recipe I got off epicurious.com.

The one guest I served it to raved about it, and it seems like an interesting way to dispose of leftover turkey, so it will probably return to my repertoire in the near future.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3