• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winter tomatoes

Malawry

I have about 40 low-quality firm-skinned winter tomatoes that I spirited away from work on Friday. (I won't be serving again until the third week in January and they'll be moldy in addition to their other poor qualities by then.) I was thinking I'd turn them into concasse, but I already have tons of concasse in the freezer--I just don't use it all that often. I do not eat pasta sauce. I do eat tomato soup, but I usually make that with higher-quality canned tomatoes. Any suggestions? I have other tomato products like paste that I can use to enhance color and flavor if needed.

I do still have a few gifts to arrange. How do you store oven-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil--will I need to process them if I pack them in jars? Should they stay refrigerated?

Dried tomatoes sounds like it would be a fun project, I'd vote for that.

Umm, other than that, make lots of tomato based soups/stocks/sauces before they go bad? Maryland crab chowder?

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide