• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's missing?

rlibkind

A pretty decent explaination Philadining.

Between 1000 BC to 600 AD the ancient Persian's trade route to India went through Afghanistan and the Persian culture and religion (Zoroastrianism) did spread in that region.

When Persia was invaded around 700 AD, the Zoroastrians migrated to India and since then have influenced and been influenced by the Indian culture.

To try an ancient Persian dish, ask for Dhansak.

What distinguishes a Persian restaurant from an Afghan restaurant or any other Middle Eastern restaurant? 

<snip>

Of course there's been enough cutural flow over the centuries that there's overlap and influence among the various regions in that area. But Persian and Afghani food tends to be a bit more like Indian/ Central Asian cuisine than like Lebanese or Egyptian or Arabic cooking.

I'm not nearly as well-versed in this as I should be to be commenting at all, so I hope I've gotten close to accurate. I've mostly just eaten at Kabul and Ariana and Roya and the Persian Grill, and a few places in NY and LA, and noticed a similarity among those, and a difference from Cedar's, or Alyans, Bitars, etc. Although they're not THAT dissimilar....

I don't know anything about differences in decor...

you don't like the tortilla soup at catrines?  i love it.

I have had it once, and thought it to be rather insipid. Little spice, and very little avocado. It was some time ago, so perhaps I should give it another try. Catrines still seems to me to be a US interpretation of what mexican food is.

ok truth be told, i haven't had it in a couple years. but i sure used to love it. now i make my own.

• 2 months later...
We could use a good Persian style place.

I searched for where our recent discussion of Persian food was, and sadly the topic seems apropos...

While trying to jam in yet another Lombardi's pizza before the wrecking ball swings, I walked by Roya and saw that the windows are all papered-over, it looks pretty closed. I'm embarrassed to say it's been a while since I ate there so maybe this isn't all that recent? Still, I'd get there now and then and always liked it. Anybody know the story?

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

We could use a good Persian style place.

I searched for where our recent discussion of Persian food was, and sadly the topic seems apropos...

While trying to jam in yet another Lombardi's pizza before the wrecking ball swings, I walked by Roya and saw that the windows are all papered-over, it looks pretty closed. I'm embarrassed to say it's been a while since I ate there so maybe this isn't all that recent? Still, I'd get there now and then and always liked it. Anybody know the story?

I don't. I did, however, notice that the were Licence Application notices posted, so presumably there is a new place already lined up.