• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

Trying not to get too off book topic, one of the reviews of the Rancho book mentioned "California Tamales".

<snip>

"Genuine Rancho Cooking. Receipt for early California Tamale is Included. It is not a Mexican Tamale, But the Genuine "California Tamale" Like the Kind Made in the Central Valley in the 30',40's 50's. And kind made at Warburtons (Out of Business), the Kind still made a Rosevelts Tamale parlor San Fransico. The California Tamale is Big Round when you break into it after un-tying the strings you break the Corn masa shell and Dip into the Chili Gravy with a Spoon."

This interested me and I looked up that style of tamale.  Turns out Norcal/SF had a lot of tamale parlours, which made a huge round tamale style.  And some made their tamales in coffee cups, steamed, without the use of a corn husk.  Very regional.  I went down a tamale rabbit hole with just that one review.

6 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I didn't see a 'Cup tamale' but don't expect anything super innovative but well done family recipes some quirky due to the history of the Californios. There's really not much else out there like this except maybe Encarnacion's Kitchen which is interesting more from a Historical perspective. 

I may get a bag of harina and some ramekins and try that type for a lark.

lemniscate

lemniscate

Trying not to get too off book topic, one of the reviews of the Rancho book mentioned "California Tamales".

<snip>

"Genuine Rancho Cooking. Receipt for early California Tamale is Included. It is not a Mexican Tamale, But the Genuine "California Tamale" Like the Kind Made in the Central Valley in the 30',40's 50's. And kind made at Warburtons (Out of Business), the Kind still made a Rosevelts Tamale parlor San Fransico. The California Tamale is Big Round when you break into it after un-tying the strings you break the Corn masa shell and Dip into the Chili Gravy with a Spoon."

This interested me and I looked up that style of tamale.  Turns out Norcal/SF had a lot of tamale parlours, which made a huge round tamale style.  And some made their tamales in coffee cups, steamed, without the use of a corn husk.  Very regional.  I went down a tamale rabbit hole with just that one review.

6 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

I didn't see a 'Cup tamale' but don't expect anything super innovative but well done family recipes some quirky due to the history of the Californios. There's really not much else out there like this except maybe Encarnacion's Kitchen which is interesting more from a Historical perspective. 

I may get a bag of harina and some ramekins and try that type for a lark.