• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Supplies Help

shinyboots

I am looking for some new baking equipment but the variety is really overwhelming. Don't take this the wrong way, but I will not consider cost - I am looking for the best (w/in practical means of course). I don't want to have to always buy the latest and greatest, so I want some substantial equipment that can be used with multiple recipes. I am not so sure if I like all this non-stick stuff, it sounds to me like you need to account for them in recipes by lowering temperature, but a more expert opinion is welcome...

1. Tart pans...what size should I get (seems like 9in by 1 in. removable bottom is a safe bet)? Tin or Nonstick? Bottomless?

2. Pie Pans, same deal? Give me some specifics if you can - usability, where to buy, material...

3. Cake Pans and molds - what are some classic options - (I am a beginner mind you)?

4. Mixing Bowls - steel with rubber, ceramic? Size and amount?

5. Muffin pans and ramekins - do you recommend individual muffin tins, or buying a set of 6-12? Should they be nonstick?

6. Loaf pans as well

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to be such a bothersome baking newb.

Are you just baking at home? Here are my recommendations, and probably most, if not all of them can be bought at your local restaurant supply for less than most other cookware stores. JB Prince online should also have most of this.

1. Tart pans: 9" is a good basic size that should meet most of your needs. A removable bottom is a must to make removing the pastry possible. I like shiny metal, but there was a recent thread debating the merits of dark finishes here. Flan rings (essentially a bottomless tart pan) work well, too, though they are trickier to master, I think. They will give you a smooth, rather than fluted edge. There, your options are tinned steel (less expensive) or stainless (more expensive), and as long as you don't scrub or leave the tinned steel wet, it should last just fine.

2. Pie pans: Easy one here: glass (pyrex is a good choice). Available sometimes even at the supermarket, or hardware store. Some here prefer metal becaus it won't break in a professional kitchen, but I like being able to see the bottom of my pie to gauge doneness. 9" is standard.

3. Cake pans: Sizes depend on how much you bake cakes. Pans with 3-inch sides will pretty much suit all your needs. Standards are 8- and 9-inch, though you can get smaller or larger. I'd have at least two in each size. Cheesecakes can be baked in cake pans (rather than springform) as well. Standard finish here is brushed aluminum with rolled edges. A 3-incher will allow you to build a layered cake (to be later inverted before icing). As for rings, same size range. 8- and 9-inch are good basic sizes, but I love my small mousse rings that are 3 inches wide and two high for individual desserts (mousse cakes and such).

4. Mixing bowls: stainless - unbreakable that way. As for the rubber bottom, you can also place a damp towel down on your counter to the same effect. Get a bunch of sizes. You will probably use the smaller sizes more than the larger ones. Have multiples of sizes you will use a lot.

5. I personally don't bake a lot of muffins and just have one basic 12-cup pan from the supermarket (dark finish) that suits me fine. As for ramekins, depending on how many you serve on a regular basis, 8-12 is a good number. they are good for mise en place as well as baking in. 4.5 to 6 ounce is a good size for individual desserts. Larger than that, and you get into individual souffle size.

6. Loaf pans: I have two Pyrex 8.5x4.5 loaf pans that serve me pretty well for most things, but the "standard" loaf pan you'll see mentioned in most recipes is a 9x5, and for that I have aluminum pans. Depending on what kind of baking you do (quick breads vs. yeast-risen breads), you may want to just start forming loaves by hand instead.

I hope this is helpful, and no doubt others will chime in with more advice.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Are you just baking at home?

Just baking at home - usage will never be too intense and I probably won't ever need to make an enormous cake or anything...

Edit:

Couple of other questions...

jgarner53 - When you were talking about cakes pans, did you mean round or square/rectangle and rimmed?

Also what do you think about silicon and ceramic?

BAKEWARE? The link is an example of a mini tart silicon sheet.

As for ceramic - it seems more suited for casserole or savoury dishes were a little burning does it some good...

Edited by shinyboots (log)

Also what do you think about silicon and ceramic?

BAKEWARE? The link is an example of a mini tart silicon sheet.

As for ceramic - it seems more suited for casserole or savoury dishes were a little burning does it some good...

Silicone is great for many things, though they may take a little getting used to if you are used to metal. You'll find much lower prices and a wider selection at dr.ca here.

Ceramic is good for creme brulees and other baked custards, or some people like ceramic for pies.

jgarner53 - When you were talking about cakes pans, did you mean round or square/rectangle and rimmed?

You can do either square or round for cake pans. It just depends on what shape cake you usually bake. I like having 8 and 9 inch metal square cake pans (in addition to the standby Pyrex 8x8 pan) because they have square corners. They're great for setting up something like a fruit gelée or nut brittle where I want squared off edges.

Most of my cake pans, though, are round, with rolled edges and straight sides.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

You can do either square or round for cake pans. It just depends on what shape cake you usually bake. I like having 8 and 9 inch metal square cake pans (in addition to the standby Pyrex 8x8 pan) because they have square corners. They're great for setting up something like a fruit gelée or nut brittle where I want squared off edges.

Most of my cake pans, though, are round, with rolled edges and straight sides.

When using Pyrex pans -- they're like $5 right? -- do you have to lower the specified temperature 25 degrees?

I believe 25 degrees is correct, many pie recipes will make note of that in their recipes. I think jgarner53 gave you some very good advice. Do you have any other questions we might have missed?

Sorry to bump the post, but thanks a bunch for your gracious service. I know where to come when help is needed.