• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(SEA) Chicken Fat?

OK guys....it seems that I will be making a LOT of Chicken Liver Pate' for Christmas and rendering all that chicken fat is sounding time-consuming and boring.

In cities with a large Jewish population I've had no trouble finding it in large jars but don't really know where to look in Seattle....let alone Poulsbo.

Thanks !

OK guys....it seems that I will be making a LOT of Chicken Liver Pate' for Christmas and  rendering all that chicken fat is sounding time-consuming and boring.

In cities with a large Jewish population I've had no trouble finding it in large jars but don't really know where to look in Seattle....let alone Poulsbo.

Thanks !

Many QFCs have a very extensive Kosher section, if I remember right the one at U-Village has chicken fat.

Rocky

FoodieGirl, would you be so kind as to share your chicken liver pate recipe? we're going to do our New York New Years Eve party (we pop the champagne EST ~ 9 pm seattle time!) this would be a perfect dish to add to our buffet!

thanks!

Thanks again Rocky!

elicia...I am one of those people who doesn't measure but here's the basic recipe. It's sort of a combination of Jewish-style chopped liver and pate' depending on how long you leave it in the food processor.

For 1 LB chicken livers (washed, drained, cut-off any tough/veiny parts) I would use 1 large yellow onion.

Rough-chop the onion and saute' in rendered chicken fat until soft.

Use a slotted spoon and dump the onions in food processor.

Add the livers to the pan adding more chicken fat if needed. Cook until livers are just barely pink inside.

Use the slotted spoon to add them to the food processor. You don't want a lot of liquid in there.

Process until as smooth as you want it. You may or may not need to add a little more chicken fat from the pan. I screwed-up once and dumped the whole pan into the processor and it was just too much liquid.

Salt/pepper to taste.

That's it (-:

Liver/onions/chicken fat. CHICKEN FAT being the operative ingredient.