• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Extra Ingredients For Fish Curry?

Sam Salmon

Hello everyone-this is my first post on this particular Forum but I do lurk here on occasion.

Anyway in the freezer rests a vacuum packed filet of Steelhead destined for Curry-Madras style most likely.

Steelhead is the anadromous (sea going) form of the Rainbow Trout and has a strong somewhat gamey flavour not my favourite but the filet was a gift.

The fish will be shared among 4 people all fish lovers and I'm stuck for an idea of what else to add to the Curry because it's little 'slim'.

The ubiquitous potatoes keep reappearing in recipes all across the net but I wonder if someone here might have a different idea. :unsure:

Basmati rice and a salad of ingredients yet to be determined complete the meal but if you have ideas for a different configuration for the feast Please do post.

Here in Vancouver I can source almost anything in different ethnic markets.

TIA

hi sam,

i'm not really able to help on stretching the fish curry per se - but what if you also made a dal or vegetable dish? crisp okra might be good...i just made black-eyed peas last night from Suvir Saran's new book - in addition to being very tasty, the recipe was dead easy.

good luck!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Hello everyone-this is my first post on this particular Forum but I do lurk here on occasion.

Anyway  in the freezer rests a vacuum packed filet of Steelhead destined for Curry-Madras style most likely.

Steelhead is the anadromous (sea going) form of the Rainbow Trout and has a strong somewhat gamey flavour not my favourite but the filet was a gift.

The fish will be shared among 4 people all fish lovers and I'm stuck for an idea of what else to add to the Curry because it's little 'slim'.

The ubiquitous potatoes keep reappearing in recipes all across the net but I wonder if someone here might have a different idea. :unsure:

Basmati rice and a salad of ingredients yet to be determined complete the meal but if you have ideas for a different configuration for the feast  Please do post.

Here in Vancouver I can source almost anything in different ethnic markets.

TIA

You could try adding long slices of eggplant or perhaps zucchinni. fresh greens cooked with fish are nice too...spinach would be good.

Edward Hamann

Cooking Teacher

Indian Cooking

edhamann@hotmail.com

Ha, potatoes came to mind before I finished reading your post. :laugh:

Peas!

Adding more veggies (beyond eggplant, which is a great idea) I feel might take away from the primary "fish" aspect of the curry (that sounds so funny, doesn't it?). Making dal as a side is the best idea, I think.

Amy

Hi Sam Salmon Welcome here on the board.

Do let us know how you proceeded to make up the meal later in the end of it all..

I thought I'd let you know of this south indian curry that is made from eggplants and anchovies and these two are sometimes combined together with blackeyed peas or an equivalent slightly bitter peas, its called 'mocchai'.

The original Puli Kolumbu or Madras curry is the base for this and is called mocchai kolumbu. Its yummy with white rice that is of the parboiled kinda sticky with little liquid still in each grain of the rice, may not be suited to basmati rice. But then hey you might not be used to this so try what ever you are used to and may be later when you seek more adventure do try the combination with other rice. Long grain carolina Rice is good with this.

Usually when there is fish curry there is a side dish made of shrimp to go with all seafood taste and vegetable sides may not even be touched by fish lovers because it takes them from the primary and so yummy theme of fish. So you may want to make dry shrimp on side.

This recipe is just onion tomatoes and a good combination of spices chilli pwd and coriander powder and/or sambar powder as you saute these in oil till every thing is brown on low flame and add shrimp to it in the end and remove from flame when they turn to your required color pink I think would be good.

Good luck with these and more of your trials.