• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Last week, the LA Times printed a recipe for a 'faux eggnog' cocktail from Gregory Westcott at Hinoki & the Bird restaurant.   The 'faux' header is unfortunate as it's just its own thing but after trying it l, I'm posting it here as I think it would make a good vegan-friendly alternative if everyone else is drinking eggnog. 

It calls for dark rum, coconut cream, a vanilla-orange-rosemary simple syrup and Angostura and chile-chocolate bitters and I was curious enough to give it a try as I have some guests coming who like this sort of stuff.

Bah! Humbug! from a recipe printed in the LA Times

2 ounces dark rum (I subbed Appleton Reserve for specified Zaya)

3/4 ounce coconut cream

3/4 ounce vanilla bean and orange simple syrup *

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes chile chocolate bitters (I used Bittermens xocolatl mole bitters)

Garnish: Grated nutmeg, flaming rosemary sprig

IMG_4289.jpg

* Vanilla bean & orange simple:  muddle zest of one orange + 1 vanilla bean + 2 sprigs rosemary with 1/2 cup sugar, add 1/2 cup hot water and continue to muddle/stir until the sugar dissolves

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Last week, the LA Times printed a recipe for a 'faux eggnog' cocktail from Gregory Westcott at Hinoki & the Bird restaurant.   The 'faux' header is unfortunate as it's just its own thing but after trying it l, I'm posting it here as I think it would make a good vegan-friendly alternative if everyone else is drinking eggnog. 

It calls for dark rum, coconut cream, a vanilla-orange-rosemary simple syrup and Angostura and chile-chocolate bitters and I was curious enough to give it a try as I have some guests coming who like this sort of stuff.

Bah! Humbug! from a recipe printed in the LA Times

2 ounces dark rum (I subbed Appleton Reserve for specified Zaya)

3/4 ounce coconut cream

3/4 ounce vanilla bean and orange simple syrup

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes chile chocolate bitters (I used Bittermens xocolatl mole bitters)

Garnish: Grated nutmeg, flaming rosemary sprig

IMG_4289.jpg