• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Emerging Birmingham Food Scene

wordwiseguy

Let's talk about some of the great restaurants here in Birmingham. We all know about Frank Stitt's restaurants, Highlands being my favorite, but more are emerging every day. Some are trendy, some casual, others exotic. Let's find them and talk about them.

One place I love to go is Sol y Luna over in Lakeview. This one may be an obvious choice and certainly not a secret to many, but I wanted to offer this one first because in many ways Guillermo is a pioneer here with what he has done to expand the Latin American pallette in Birmingham. He manages to bring the real flavors of Mexico to his little tapas and tequila bar. He pays attention to the details and works hard to hit quite of few of the senses - sight, sound, smell and most importanly taste.

So, what else is out there? I've heard there's a relatively new Korean place on Greensprings - Seoul Korean I believe? Anyone been there?

What about Standard Bistro?

Or the Brazilian place in Vestavia?

Have you checked out this website for even more terrific information on the local food scene:

click here and enjoy yourself! :wink:

Recent reviews section

Of Cafe DuPont, the reviewers writes:

For the full appetizer, we ordered Louisiana crawfish tail meat with spicy rosemary garlic cream sauce and fried red tomatoes ($12). The generous portion of tender crawfish meat were complemented by the slightly zippy sauce that was creamy yet not too rich. The fried red tomato perched atop the mound of crawfish meat was a sweet alternative to fried green tomatoes.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As far as real New Orleans style food, I actually found a legitimate place. Little New Orleans on Hwy 280 in Inverness. Very good stuff, if a bit pricey.

Speaking of Lakeview, I'm a fan of Bombay Cafe' They do really good work there.

Anyone eat at the Culinard place? Been meaning to go, just haven't had a chance to do it.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

I've been meaning to eat there too. It's called Mizan Plaz. My wife picked up our wedding cakes from the Bakery at Culinard and it was awesome. They actually did a French cake for my wife (she lived in Paris for years) and it was fabulous. Even better was my cake- chocolate with chocolate raspberry layers, and chocolate frosting rolled with cocoa nibs. Very decadent.

Back to Mizan Plaz. I've heard great things and plan to go soon. Whoever does it first can proudly report their experience here.

Thanks for the post. I'll try the place you mentioned soon.

I ate at Mizan Plaz about two years ago, several months after it had opened. I have heard that the food and service are better now, but will not likely return soon. I would like to recommend a restaurant called AMBA, an acronym which stands for Anthony Marini Birmingham Alabama. The food is quite similar to what I was accustomed to eating in Napa, California for the years I was there. It was an excellent dining experience, the food and service were fantastic. In fact, he recently recieved four forks from the Birmingham News. Chef Marini offers a tasting menu at the Chef's Table also, if you make reservations. A word to the wise: don't miss dessert. Don't bother trying to split it, either. Just bask in the glory of Susan Notter.

I've heard a lot about Susan Notter. I am anxious to try this place. Maybe I'll get there this week.

I checked out the AMBA website and I really like the look of the menu. Especially the dessert menu. Wow.

As for Mizan Plaz, I'm gonna give them a shot too.

I ate at Mizan Plaz about two years ago, several months after it had opened.  I have heard that the food and service are better now, but will not likely return soon.  I would like to recommend a restaurant called AMBA, an acronym which stands for Anthony Marini Birmingham Alabama.  The food is quite similar to what I was accustomed to eating in Napa, California for the years I was there.  It was an excellent dining experience, the food and service were fantastic.  In fact, he recently recieved four forks from the Birmingham News.  Chef Marini offers a tasting menu at the Chef's Table also, if you make reservations.  A word to the wise: don't miss dessert.  Don't bother trying to split it, either.  Just bask in the glory of  Susan Notter.

Jeez, I have walked right past that place once or twice a week. Usually on my way to Subway right next door. Guess which hospital I work at? :biggrin: I gonna have to check it out.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.