• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking solace through culinary endeavors:

There have been some totally unforeseen changes lately, and I have to say that I gave up all interest in food for awhile. The fact that I wasn't just responsible for myself forced off my kiester and started cooking again. And like that previous mention by lovebenton0 (I think) I was a wobblecat for a couple of days, and homemade from start to plate Rice-A-Roni (way better than box) was a bigtime accomplishment. But it felt GOOD, by golly, and everyday seems a little easier...I am glad, so glad there's this thread to help me work myself back with.

Far from being upsetting, I feel closer to the folks who've used the act of cooking to heal their soul. Big deep sorrow takes time and work to get a handle on. But the mechanical aspects of food preparation are therapeutic, to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Holidays are difficult times for many people, either emotionally, physically or financially, and can cause some hidden depressions or stresses to leap out at us, and more strain on our physical well being as well. I was considering this in conjunction with not only our own holidays this year but with the situations among a few dear friends. So, I thought of this thread and was wondering . . .

Are these times that anyone is especially grateful for the comfort and relief of cooking? For either your own families or for gifts and goodies for your special others?

Or contributions to families in need during the holidays? When I worked for the City for several years our office sponsored three or four families every Thanksgiving, and the December holidays. Everybody would be so rushed and stressed with doing and taking care of their own, getting through the often difficult holiday period. Yet, when it came time to put together the family meal baskets to deliver you could see how much it brightened many of us to bring in the foods we had prepared to share with others we didn't even know. It was as though we had been given a gift ourselves and on those days it just seemed lighter and easier to deal with everything.

Do you rely on cooking at holiday times to bolster you through a stressful season? And perhaps extend that comfort and the joy you feel to others (your own circle or anybody else?) through the little goodies you make?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

When I'm sad or upset I make coq au vin.  I have a friend who makes pans and pans of biscotti in times of crisis.  I think what draws us to these foods is the slownes and attention they demand.  When I focus my energy outward I become more centered and thoughtful.    On the other hand, when I'm really happy or pleased I'll make quick, bright food.

I agree. Anything that demands concentration can make you feel better. Cutting up a lot of vegetables is good. Cooking for other people can help you connect and get out of yourself and cooking makes an excellent shared activity. I don't really have a big appetite when I'm truly sad or upset, but cooking is a good kind of busy work to distract me. I also like doing crossword puzzles and reading mysteries at times like that. Something about activities that are more or less finite.

Love the Colwin tribute.

• 1 month later...