• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocolate covered things

torakris

Chocolate-covered potato chips are great; a wonderful combination of sweet and salty. I do it myself when I can make a good ganache.

Now: a bit of news from a British mag I read says that Kiev's fanciest restaurant, Tsarske Selo, sells chocolate-covered pork fat to its guests. You get four sticks for approximately 1 pound, says the article, and it's quite popular. They call it something on the order of Ukrainian Snickers.

I think I will have to give that a miss, as they say.

"My tongue is smiling." - Abigail Trillin

Ruth Shulman

Kris,

have you always disliked chocolate covered things, or is it since you moved overseas?  Has your taste change any since living in Japan?  I know that I for one would probably acquire new tastes, but NEVER give up the sweet/salty together cravings that I have.

I don't think I have ever liked the chocolate sweet-salty combo.

the only thing I like covered in chocolate are raisins, coconut, almonds and caramels and cherries!

I don't care for any other fruits or nuts in chcocolate....

I would say that my tastes have changed in that I really don't care for the super sweet foods anymore, I have a hard time with most American style cakes, cookies, donuts, etc, especially the frosting...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Chocolate covered anchovies

Gack! :blink::laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Chocolate is the tar buildup in the devil's lungs.

Why would you ruin a perfectly good pretzel, potato chip, pork rind, strawberry, ginger piece, citrus zest, or banana by coating it in the most insidious of all coatings - chocolate? Might as well wrap it in a hair shirt.

I will stop crashing this thread now :smile:

Yours,

Eunny the chocolate hating freakshow

Just saw this on Animal Planet: Desert scorpions become Chocolate covered dessert scorpions from HotLix in Pismo Beach CA.

Sans stingers, of course.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Ahhh, Eunny.

Interesting. But I would ask why you'd ruin chocolate by paring it with anything that may detract from its greatness?

With regard to chocolate I say: The darker the better. Keep it pure, keep it simple. And to hell with Hersheys and the rest.

I could eat a bag of cocoa nibs.

Cheers.

wordwiseguy, if you have a bag of cocoa nibs you have to share.

Dark chocolate is the best. I used to only like milk chocolate, but my tastes have changed as I've grown older, and the milk choc is much too sweet for me now.

And gack! indeed at the chocolate covered pork fat and anchovies. Shudder.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.