• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The sneaky tricks professional cooks use

Gifted Gourmet

hahahahaha. tricks. riiiiiiiiiight.

the base of tons of things, sauces included: sauteing. how do you saute? in oil. derp.

sushi is the greatest thing ever. that's all i have to say.

how are "steamed" vegetables loaded in fat? yes, tossing them in butter and salt adds a smidgen of fat, but uh... yeah. (i'll concede i read nothing but the "tips" and not any article in length, but it's late and i'm bored.

i wish someone told me of these horrible misdeeds before i became a cook. i'm so ashamed of my life and choices. :huh:

a common callback in restaurants: "fire fish, broiled, with no oil or salt!" "fish, no flavor, fire!" people are strange.

I've never eaten a Hot Pocket and thought "I'm glad I ate that."

I agree that the article seems extreamely obvious and the idea that consuming food that is fat free pretty much leads to completly dry, tasteless food as a result.

But the biggest problem is that a lot of the people that these articles are aimed at also don't know how to cook. They don't cook at home, nevermind know what kind of shortcuts may be taken in restaurant kitchens - like asking a saute chef to go easy on the amount of oil s\he uses when s\he's got 4-5 pans going at once. Or to take the time to actually steam your vegetables for you if they aren't already a normal item on the menu.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the weight-loss programs advocate using low-fat substitutes (like frozen fat free cool whip as the basis for an "ice cream" sandwich :blink: ) instead of learing to cook and eating a higher proportion of healthier foods and smaller amounts of less healthy foods. Even Weight Watchers, which is pretty good, offers a lot of options for those who don't know how or want to actually cook thier food.

Ok, rant over. But I really want to just see a lot more people learing to cook and enjoy a variety of foods instead of relying on frozen dinners and cool whip and thinking that real cooking is evil!

I think this is probably the same article as in the other thread.

With regard to the sushi, a number of rolls you see offered ready made have a fair amount of mayonnaise in them. You can tell just by looking.

And that is definitly sushi I try to avoid.... not because it's unhealthy. Because if I had wanted mayonnaise on my lunch, I'd have gone to the deli.

This all relates to those stupid 'eat nothing with more than 5% fat' diets. Eat old school french restaurant food every day and yes, you will get fat (And probbaly feel a lot worse than Morgan Spurlock did after eating McDs in Super Size Me). Eat that sort of food occasionally as part of an enjoyable and balanced diet then you'll be fine. You need to balance your nutrition across the day, the week, the month, not one meal.

How many old school fat french people do you see everyday? Its also about "How" you eat as well. Most french take their time during their meals. Eating slower actually makes you feel full faster as well as help good digestion. In my situation its not so much what I am eating but how much and how quickly. I am however trying to limit both fats and starches but, not at the complete expense of taste and certainly not when I am paying for someone else to prepare it. After all, healthy people still die.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.