• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ETA and basque chefs

francesco

I can't help but point out that vserna's positions are not apolitical either. Not all Spaniards fully share his view that "this is a country where free speech is very real, to the point of excess" or that "any political ideal or ambition can be fully pursued and defended through the ballot box", and a sizable portion of Basques completely disagree with it. But I don't want to debate it, because I agree this is not the place. Please note that I'm not putting forth any counter-argument but merely pointing out that his views would not be fully shared even by moderate nationalists in the Basque country.

I'd like to remind everyone what Bux have said previously on the thread:

Let's just keep this focused on restaurants and food, not judge the chefs until all the news is in, and use this thread to keep up on the news.
There are issues of ethics and morality that while they may be far more important than gastronomy, are also far outside the reason for eGullet to exist.

Víctor has already dettached himself from the debate and I expect everyone else will act accordingly to hosts's directions.

Asola's post, which reflects an existing position in some sectors of Spain, is left here since we don't want to convey with its removal that we favor a given political orientation from the site.

Subsequent posts which insist to depart the discussion from food will be removed.

Thanks for your cooperation.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Article from BBC:

Top chefs quizzed over Eta 'tax'

Arzak and Subijana are accused of paying substantial sums to the Basque nationalist militant group, which is on the U.S. State Dept.'s terrorist org. list. No charges have been filed against either, but neither (it appears) has either explicitly denied the claim. I wonder to what extent chefs in Basque country are subject to these kinds of pressures. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Wrt. the concerns of supporting terrorism by dining in a basque restaurant or tapa inn which pays the "protection money":

I believe it's not so easy to to consume a pizza in Naples, where the owner doesn't pay the "pizzo" (protection money) to one of the families of the Camorra (Mafia) there. Estimations say that about 50-70% of all shops, restaurants, pizzerias, whatever pay the pizzo. Usually, the sum is small and never that important as discussed here, but nevertheless ....

I' don't think anyone who's consuming a pizza or any other dish in Naples should feel guilty about supporting organised crime.

Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.