• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CiderDay 2004 - Where to eat?

fchrisgrimm

We're returning to CiderDay this year, November 6 & 7 in Colrain, MA, and are likely staying in Shelburne.

Any recommendations for one dinner in the Shelburn/Northfield/Greenfield area?

I highly recommend CiderDay for the opportunity to try dozens of varietals of heirloom apples. We had a blast at last years event, but stayed with friends and cooked in.

(As an aside, while in that part of Massachusetts, a side trip to MassMOCA in North Adams is highly recommended.)

Chris Grimm

• 2 weeks later...

The website is www.ciderday.org

The activities seem spread outover a number of towns: not only Colrain, but also Deerfield and New Salem, among other places.

Shelburn Falls boasts two restaurants worth visiting. Unfortunately I can't remember either name, but one is located on the main street heading south from route 2, on the right hand side, just before the automobile bridge. The other place is located right next to the bridge of flowers which is more or less parallel to the automobile bridge and a few hundred feet to the west. This second restaurant is on the north west side of the bridge.

If some checks out the Shelburn Falls website and lists the names here, I could identify the two places. The first has a name like Tusk or Tuscan and features an interesting amalgam of Mexican and some Indian food, well prepared with a good variety of local beers. The second has a veranda that overlooks the river and the bridge of flowers and features some local produce.

The area also produces local organic beef, but unfortunately neither restaurant seems to carry it.

The best place in Greenfield is the People's Pint. Their pulled pork sandwich, an occasional special, is superb. They are a lefty hippy brew pub with live music on many evenings and somewhat erratic opening hours. I think they are closed on Mondays and for lunch. I don't know their weekend schedule.

The two Shelburne Falls places mentioned in my post yesterday are

A Bottle Of Bread

Water Street

(413) 625 6502

Sat. 12-2:30; 5-9. ; Sun.11-2:30;5-8

(see their CiderDay Menu)

www.bottleofbread.com

Tusk N Rattle

10 Bridge St

(413) 625-0200

Sat & Sun., 4-11

The third rec -- in Greenfield -- is:

The People's Pint

24 Federal Street

(413) 773-0333

thepeoplespint.com

Sat. & Sun. 4:00-11:00

Edited by VivreManger (log)

In Northfield, the Big Kitchen has turned over, and the new folks were doing a decent job at least the first month they were open (according to my bro, who knows the local landscape), shooting for a little more discriminating clientele. Don't know the new name but it's sort of near the IGA and Mimi's Market, on the other side of the street, in a big farmhouse-looking place. Also don't know if they serve lunch. (Helpful, aren't I? :raz: ) It might be more of a long-shot (and a longer drive) than Bottle of Bread etc. though.

• 1 month later...

CiderDay 2004 was a treat. Lunch Saturday (following a cooking demo) was at the Green Emporium in Colrain. Terrific apple and cider themed tasting menu:

Roasted Root Vegetable and Apple Bisque

Roast Pork Loin with Prune & Apple Stuffing and Cider Reduction

Cider Glazed Carnival Squash, etc. etc.

Saturday's heirloom apple tasting was again the highlight of the event - though the realization that 30+ heirloom varietals were growing from one tree (the wonders of science) did take away some of the romance! Sunday's event was a cider and cheese pairing at the Deerfield Inn.

Saturday night we wanted to eat at Bottle of Bread, but they don't take reservations for fewer than four. Of course, you get to the door, and they act as if it should be a priviledge to wait "approximately" a half-hour for a table. (This probably merits another string) I am happy for restauranteurs successful enough that they can set aside the courtesy of a common reservation system, but that approach puts them off my list for the forseeable future. If they want my credit card number as a guarantee that I show up, fine - but don't make it such a hassle if you want me to remember your restaurant or pass on the name to other visitors to the area.

Instead we went to Cafe Martin (ironically, running into two old friends - we could call BOB - ha!). I went for a cider braised pork (sort of a rerun from lunch, but still terrif) and all at the table were pleased with this small place. Being to used to NYC prices, I kept rechecking the tab to be sure that they charged us for everything - with the four of us eating for less than $100 (including a nice West County Cider and a couple of drinks).

I definitely recommend CiderDay as a fall weekend diversion - probably best to stay at the Deerfield Inn. It was a fairly easy trip from Fairfield County, too - two-and-a-half hours at most.