• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help

mikep

Here's the deal.Eight of us getting together.Finally have a babysitter,so I want to really enjoy the night out.I live in Livingston,but we have couples from Bloomfield,Paramus and Ridgewood.The night is Oct.30th,according to opentable Fascino(my first choice)has no tables for eight.I want a truly memorable meal.I as thinking Rocca,but the drive home for me might be a little long after the wine consumption.Also,I am looking for some help with wines that would go good with any of the meal choices.Any type of food is cool though I would rather not do chinese or sushi.We have a couple of baloney eaters but I dont concern myself with their needs(they can stop at Mickey D's on the way).Thanks

Mike

You've got lots of good options, Mike!

Personally, I'd head to Rocca (Glen Ridge) or if you want something a little fancier, Village Green (Ridgewood). If that's too far from home for you, how about Trattoria Fresco in Caldwell? There have been a few posts of late about the service declining, but it's a casual atmosphere, and we really enjoyed ourselves when we went with a large group--esp because Evan personally took care of us.

Not BYO, but Adega Grill in the Ironbound really is a lovely spot, and the food has been terrific every time I've gone there. It's a given the An American Grill in Randolph is excellent, but it's out in Randolph, so that may be a bit too far out of the way for your group. And how about Epernay in Montclair? It's a favorite of many on this forum.

I'm sure others will be happy to weigh in with ideas, but if you do a search on any of the places I've mentioned, you'll find lots of info here on eG.

Let us know where you end up!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Call Fascino and ask if they can give you a table for eight.

Other suggestions:

Corso 98, Montclair

Trattoria Fresco, Caldwell

Osteria Giotto, Montclair

Village Green, Ridgewood

Dining Room at Anthony David's, Hoboken

Amanda's, Hoboken (they have a liquor license)

15 Fox Place, Jersey City

Cafe Matisse, Rutherford

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

My two cents: I might not go to Epernay and Corso 98 with a large group. Epernay, though one of my favorites to eat, has a somewhat small dining room where I think it'd be hard to seat a party of 8 with privacy. Of course they have an upstairs loft, so that's an option. Overall, though, the room is a bit cramped and I always feel I'm right in the middle of the action (if that makes any sense) when I'm eating there. Good food, though. I found Corso to be trying to be a bit more upscale than it actually is. The decor seemed a bit off to me, i.e. too highfalutin for the kind of place that it is. Definitely a quiet place, though, and that may be what you're looking for.

Osteria Giotto and Trattoria Fresco are both more casual and I would feel comfortable going to both of these places with large groups. You can be loud and eat a lot and share easily. Upbeat!

The others, especially Amanda's and Village Green, though I have not yet been to either, are definitely fancier.

Good luck and let us know what you choose!

"After all, these are supposed to be gutsy spuds, not white tablecloth social climbers."

Richie Cecere's in Montclair It WILL be memorable. They will have a 18 piece big band playing music that night for free. The food is very good but pricey so you'll drop some buck but not over the top. You're freinds will thank you. They have a very wide selection on the menu for your baloney eaters too.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species