• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Day in Philly

Carrot Top

That sounds terrific Katie.  Thanks for mentioning it - and I'll make a note of it.  When we were younger - we used to go for 2-3 week trips - wherever.  Didn't have a care in the world.  Now with 3 elderly and 2 sickly parents - we can't go super-far - or stay super-long.  Even our 1 week trip to London this spring (for - in part - the Chelsea Flower Show) was touch and go in terms of parental illness.  So we're concentrating more on 4-5 day trips where we don't have to get bent out if we have to cancel at the last minute or return home in the middle.  Guess that southeast Asia trip I've always wanted to take will have to wait for a while.  Robyn

Robyn:

I didn't even realize the overlap (and I don't think that's ever happened before) until I looked up the dates myself. Should be a great visit for anyone that likes both the horticulture and the fine dining angle on their travels.

I don't think Philly can possibly compete with Southeast Asia, but could definitely be a rewarding trip for a long weekend. Southeast Asia and it's attractions will still be there later on, but the Philadelphia Flower Show and Book and the Cook festivals are different every year!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Being a scientist, my favorite museum in Philly has always either been the Mutter, or the Franklin Institute. The Mutter has disembodied humans and all sort of oddies.

The Franklin Institute is a really cool hands-on Science museum, with a planetarium and IMAX theater. I haven't been there since the 8th grade, but they have a giant walk-thru heart that is really cool. I heard they recently renovated it.

By all means, climb those Art Museum steps, but make sure to stop by another museum, just a few blocks down the Parkway: The Rodin Museum. For years it's been a small, mostly undiscovered gem, but with its recent refurbishment, it won't be for long. It's small, so you can do a quick walkthrough in 20 minutes, though I'd recommend taking your time.

I lived near Philly for several years and couldn't ever figure out why the Rodin museum doesn't get more attention. It's simply breathtaking.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Being a scientist, my favorite museum in Philly has always either been the Mutter, or the Franklin Institute.  The Mutter has disembodied humans and all sort of oddies.

The Franklin Institute is a really cool hands-on Science museum, with a planetarium and IMAX theater.  I haven't been there since the 8th grade, but they have a giant walk-thru heart that is really cool.  I heard they recently renovated it.

The Giant Heart exhibit just reopened. More info Here.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I lived near Philly for several years and couldn't ever figure out why the Rodin museum doesn't get more attention. It's simply breathtaking.

it'll get some more this year, probably. it's the 75th anniversary, and they're doing a whole garden restoration there, fancifyin' up the place and whatnot. also there's a gala for it next week. it IS a great little museum, and if they end up bringing the barnes to the parkway i bet it'll be more noticed along with everything else.

• 2 months later...

Robyn:

I didn't even realize the overlap (and I don't think that's ever happened before) until I looked up the dates myself.  Should be a great visit for anyone that likes both the horticulture and the fine dining angle on their travels.

I don't think Philly can possibly compete with Southeast Asia, but could definitely be a rewarding trip for a long weekend.  Southeast Asia and it's attractions will still be there later on, but the Philadelphia Flower Show and Book and the Cook festivals are different every year!

Hi Katie - I'm getting down to actually planning travel for 2005. No reason you can't do Philly and Japan in the same year :smile: .

I was looking at the Book and Cook website - and - although everything was supposed to be up by the first of the year - it isn't. Do you have a schedule yet? Robyn

Robyn:

I didn't even realize the overlap (and I don't think that's ever happened before) until I looked up the dates myself.  Should be a great visit for anyone that likes both the horticulture and the fine dining angle on their travels.

I don't think Philly can possibly compete with Southeast Asia, but could definitely be a rewarding trip for a long weekend.  Southeast Asia and it's attractions will still be there later on, but the Philadelphia Flower Show and Book and the Cook festivals are different every year!

Hi Katie - I'm getting down to actually planning travel for 2005. No reason you can't do Philly and Japan in the same year :smile: .

I was looking at the Book and Cook website - and - although everything was supposed to be up by the first of the year - it isn't. Do you have a schedule yet? Robyn

Robyn:

No schedule up yet, but seeing as how I'm a manager "in-the-biz" locally, it's likely to cross my desk any day now. As soon as I know of any updates, I'll post back.

If you're seriously contemplating the trip, I'd book the hotel now and worry about the dinner reservations later. There's always enough on the schedule that I'm totally confident you could find things to suit your taste on whichever nights you happen to be here. And there's always the usual array of great restaurants and BYOBs here that might or might not be part of the Book and Cook that will serve you a great meal regardless of the date.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Robyn:

They wont make their schedule "official" until the beginning of February, but bits and pieces will be added to their website almost daily and certainly weekly until then.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"