• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best duck tongue and/or sea cucumber?

GaijinGirl

You like duck's tongues? I find them too much trouble to eat.

Now, sea cucumber is something I used to like at the Manchurian hotpot restaurant that used to be where Goody's is now right by Chatham Square, or really close to it. I haven't enjoyed it in a long time. I got a sea cucumber dish at the Chelsea branch of Grand Sichuan probably 2-3 years ago: Great sauce but strange texture.

Sorry I can't help you, but I'll be curious to see the results of your search.

Michael aka "Pan"

You like duck's tongues? I find them too much trouble to eat.

Why is that, if I may ask? I've never had them, and obviously there's something I'm missing about eating them. I love every part of the duck I've ever eaten, and I just love beef tongue, so I always assumed I'd love duck tongues. Now I'm wondering what you mean...

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

markk, supposedly, if what I have read is true, duck's tongue is an acquired taste.... very small, all fat surrounding small bones.... takes a lot of them to make a meal ... just read about them ... :rolleyes:

picture here .. scroll down ... :wink: and look at the steamed duck tongues as well .. actually, the entire page looks interesting ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

"You have to bite around for a 'knuckle' to cut the tongue in half and then bite through and separate the meat from the bones with your tongue."

-----

I'm flabbergasted - I had no idea. Well, beef tongue it is for me. Thanks.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Why is it that the only sound I can hear in my head at this very moment is AFLAC???? or is that Affffflaaaaack?? :laugh:

as for sea cucumbers, I once saw a National Geographic marine undersea film of a sea cucumber with a little worm that retreats by night into the sea cucumber's anal sphincter where it lives .. honest, this was a scientific film! never ate sea cucumbers after that ... :shock:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Aflllllllacccccckkk!

Actually, I want to try them both because I've never had them, and I'm curious. And it would be a MAJOR bonus if I could find a DIM SUM place that had them, so that I could taste a little, and then move on if necessary.... Anyone know of a place?!? :)))))

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Chances are, you can get duck tongues at any of the big dim sum eating halls in Manhattan, especially if you go on a weekend. I remember them having them at Jing Fong, for example.

I'm sure you could find them for sale in most any of the major prepared-dishes stores on Grand St. or elsewhere in Chinatown, as well.

Michael aka "Pan"

Oooooooh. So Spicy and Tasty is also dim sum, and has both, Gifted G.?

And Jing Fong? (Pan, I remember you said Jing Fong has Kaya Jam, which I *also* have on my to-try list.) I've been looking at reviews online - one thing that bothers me is the reviews that say that the service is bad - is this valid? And where on Grand to get prepacked duck tongue? (Feet, I've found at Kam Man.)

For all the running I've done around Chinatown for the past year, I have yet to do my first dim sum, because I can't get a group together. (And I figure it's been experience that way.) My upcoming opportunity is that some relatives will be taking me out for my birthday and treating. Golden chance to get some dim sum...and I want to be sure that the new stuff I want to try is available.

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

Oooooooh.  So Spicy and Tasty is also dim sum, and has both, Gifted G.?

I suppose Melissa means that they have a duck tongue dish. They might; I haven't paid attention. I wouldn't call Spicy & Tasty a dim sum place; it's a full-service restaurant.

And Jing Fong?  (Pan, I remember you said Jing Fong has Kaya Jam, which I *also* have on my to-try list.)  I've been looking at reviews online - one thing that bothers me is the reviews that say that the service is bad - is this valid?

Compared to what? When you're at a dim sum eating hall, you need to be assertive and you'll want to check out some of the stuff against the wall that doesn't circulate. If you have a choice, sit near the kitchen unless you've got a really big group, in which case, they'll put you in a private room and you'll probably get good service but might need to deputize someone to get stuff from the main eating hall too.

And where on Grand to get prepacked duck tongue?  (Feet, I've found at Kam Man.)

Dunno, but I'd just walk around and look. You'll probably have luck somewhere between Bowery and Mott. There's that block-long store too, I forget the exact location (I think between Elizabeth and Mott north of Hester).

For all the running I've done around Chinatown for the past year, I have yet to do my first dim sum, because I can't get a group together.  (And I figure it's been experience that way.)  My upcoming opportunity is that some relatives will be taking me out for my birthday and treating.  Golden chance to get some dim sum...and I want to be sure that the new stuff I want to try is available.

You could also always contact eGulleteers and set up some gathering on a weekend, if there are enough takers. You don't need a very big group.

Michael aka "Pan"

My only experience with Duck Tongues was at The Peking Duck House (28 Mott Street, 212-227-1810), and I believe they offer Sea Cucumber, as well. I'd descrobe the place as a solid, if unexceptional, restaurant that does perhaps a better job with the "Chinese Specialties" (like Duck Tongues) section of the menu than the regular menu. Portions are large, be prepared to eat many tongues.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.