• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Boneless Rib Eye

woodburner

I'm thinking of buying a whole Boneless rib eye, and tying beef rib bones around them using them as a roasting rack.

Could use some ideas.

woodburner

Why would you do that? I think you'd get better cooked, better flavored meat by cooking a rib roast on the bone, and if you have a long enough knife (like a smoked-salmon knife), it's incredibly easy to "scoop" the entire eye off the bones after it's cooked and rested. I do it all the time.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Why would you do that?  I think you'd get better cooked, better flavored meat by cooking a rib roast on the bone, and if you have a long enough knife (like a smoked-salmon knife), it's incredibly easy to "scoop" the entire eye off the bones after it's cooked and rested.  I do it all the time.

Mainly because I'm going to be feeding twelve, and a whole boneless is easier to procure. My first choice is certainly with the bones. I do frequently purchase beef rib bones and cook them for about 6 hours as they make a great snack, and good for keeping the teeth sharp.

woodburner

Ah, got you.

Well, then you probably know what you're doing; were you intenting to tie the bones to the bottom of the roast as they'd be if it came not boneless? I think you'd be just fine doing something like that.

For what it's worth, I may hold the award for having cooked the world's smallest rib roast. (And, I got it rare, but I don't have the "after" photo.)

primerib.jpg

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

What about buying the roast on the bone and asking them to roll it for you? Thus, the roast will be boneless, and the bones tied underneath to use as racks. Alternatively a boneless rib eye roast would be wonderful spit roasted.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm thinking of buying a whole Boneless rib eye, and tying beef rib bones around them using them as a roasting rack.

Could use some ideas.

woodburner

I highly recommend this method--or one closely approximating it. For overall ease of operation, I had my butcher do this for me and the resulting roast, which I cooked on my Weber grill, was just about the best roast I've ever eaten (don't we always say that? :biggrin:) Of course, in order to get the whole roast into the Weber, I had to split it into 2 pieces.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I cooked them for about 4 hours, and did my best to keep the temp in the Weber around 250 F. At the end, I added some wood to the fire, opened all the dampers on the Weber and did my best to 'finish' the roast sections. FWIW, the bones were also fantastic and I hoarded them for myself (yet another, big advantage of having the butcher 'roll' the roast for me). Somehow woodburner, I doubt you need my input on the cooking method. :wink:

Here are a few (hack) pics...

primerib.smoked.2x.jpg

primerib.smoked.interior.jpg

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

What about buying the roast on the bone and asking them to roll it for you?  Thus, the roast will be boneless, and the bones tied underneath to use as racks.  Alternatively a boneless rib eye roast would be wonderful spit roasted.

Hi Marlene

One of our local food warehouses, sell the boneless rib eye, choice grade, regarding size it must be in the 12lb range since in sells for around $90 dollars. I would like to serve the rib bones with the rib eye steaks, but have this crazy concern regarding plating. IE: how will bones seperated from the steak appeal to my guests.

The rotisserie method serves well for certain size cuts, but this one is much too big I think.

I'm leaning for eithier a fast browning or crusting on a charcoal grille, then cook in my wood burning oven at 210ºF until done medium in the center.

What are your thoughts on serving seperate bones on the same plate?

woodburner

I highly recommend this method--or one closely approximating it.  For overall ease of operation, I had my butcher do this for me and the resulting roast, which I cooked on my Weber grill, was just about the best roast I've ever eaten (don't we always say that? :biggrin:)  Of course, in order to get the whole roast into the Weber, I had to split it into 2 pieces.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I cooked them for about 4 hours, and did my best to keep the temp in the Weber around 250 F.  At the end, I added some wood to the fire, opened all the dampers on the Weber and did my best to 'finish' the roast sections.  FWIW, the bones were also fantastic and I hoarded them for myself (yet another, big advantage of having the butcher 'roll' the roast for me).  Somehow woodburner, I doubt you need my input on the cooking method. :wink:

Here are a few (hack) pics...

primerib.smoked.2x.jpg

primerib.smoked.interior.jpg

=R=

You suck.

Alway's raising the bar.

Hope none of my guests, see your pictures.

Thanks Ron

woodburner

What are your thoughts on serving seperate bones on the same plate?

woodburner

Well, if I may answer that question as a prime-rib lover, I'd like to say I'd be thrilled to have the seperately roasted bones as opposed to having no bones at all.

Well, if I may answer that question as a prime-rib lover, I'd like to say I'd be thrilled to have the seperately roasted bones as opposed to having no bones at all.

Like Ronnie, I'd hoard those bones for myself :raz:

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I agree. Nicely crusted bones separate? Yum.. I sitll think you could spit roast it, but it depends on the size of your Q. I've done up to 10 lbs on my spit.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We had a dinner party last weekend where the main course was rib roast sans ribs. It turned out be-yoo-ti-ful...

Before:

meat_before.jpg

and After:

meat.jpg

The Spouse always adds some fruitwood trimmings to the barbie so that the meat is smoked. Last Saturday it was apricot.

Jen Jensen

• 4 weeks later...
We had a dinner party last weekend where the main course was rib roast sans ribs. It turned out be-yoo-ti-ful...

Before:

meat_before.jpg

and After:

meat.jpg

The Spouse always adds some fruitwood trimmings to the barbie so that the meat is smoked. Last Saturday it was apricot.

I procured a 3 bone standing rib tonite on sale. Choice grade. I'm starting my beef stock tomorrow evening for a Saturday night feast. I've also pulled some beef ribs from the freezer to cook along side the rib roast.

Garlic smashed potatoes maybe, and giant freshly baked popovers.

I'm thinking of the Alton Brown method, cook low and slow and sear over high heat to finish the rib roast.

woodburner