• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

scrapple: wherein i sacrifice my health

mrbigjas

well, after more than a year, i have a new entry in the local scrapple market (or rather, probably not new,but like their bacon, i never noticed it before): harry ochs' scrapple.

this week i was down there looking for some shin meat for a beef stew, and happened to notice small blocks of scrapple there on the shelf with the applewood-smoked bacon that i also hadn't noticed till recently. so i bought one.

and let me tell ya: this is damn good. damn good, i say! when i got it out i thought it looked a little too mealy, like the 'scrap' portion of it might be a little meager, but after having it for breakfast this morning, i can say it's pretty close to exactly what i'm looking for. it's not bland (although it could be a little spicier), it's not too salty, has a decent amount of unidentifiable bits and pieces in there... good stuff! i recommend it.

• 10 months later...

Scarpple makes me miss Kent Voss and the promise of Scrapplefest!

I believe that SOMEONE should forge on with Scrapplefest!

Kent might have left WWDB (I still cry at its rude demise) but we NEED SCRAPPLEFEST!

We also need Hoagie and Cheesesteak FESTS!

For a FOOD city, we have very few FOOD FESTIVALS!

VIVA BARBARO!

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

When my husband was in the kitchen at Four Seasons he test drove an Eggs Benny featuring grilled bread and scrapple instead of canadian bacon and english muffins.  I hope your dish fares better  :smile: !  Scapple and hollandaise just weren't meant for each other.

Scrapple and Hollandaise does sound like a bit of overkill. Or maybe just too rich with the eggs and all too.

I'll let you know how our special does. The bread still hasn't been decided upon so I'll report back when it's really formulated.

Katie,

We put our own homemade scrapple as a first course on our tasting menu this past weekend with great success. Super crispy scrapple as the base, braised Lancaster County shoat and an apple, sage and mustard sauce. We converted alot of folks into scrapple lovers! I'll send you some...I think you'll enjoy it.

Andy Little

The Sheppard Mansion

Oooooh Andy! That sounds delicious!

You all might make a scapple lover out of me yet. :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

OMG Pork Roll is heaven! Miraculously I've managed to find a supermarket way out here in the desert that carries it. (They had Tastykakes for a while, but mercifully those months are long gone.) My first memories of it are from the Ocean City Boardwalk, as a sandwich on a toasty bun with cheese and ketchup. (Thanks, Dad!) Oh, and always eaten out on the boardwalk with a big glass of Litterer's orange juice.

That same supermarket also carries Boar's Head deli meats, including Lebanon Bologna! I prefer Seltzer's but it'll do. I've even corrupted my DH (a Cali boy) with both of these, but he's still a holdout on the scrapple. Can't say I blame him, the only kind we can get here is a frozen brick of Bob Evans.

Back in Philly, I always loved the way they prepared it ever-so-thin and crispy-fried at the Coffee Station in Springfield (I think it's still Springfield there).