• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint Tea without simple syrup?

JudiJ

What I want is probably not a reality, but I'd like to have a convenient mint flavoring for tea, hot or iced, that is not carried via simple syrup. I don't want the sugar.

Of course, with fresh mint, I can add that to the tea while it is steeping, but I don't always have fresh mint around. I know that I can make a mint syrup by infusing simple syrup with fresh mint and it will keep for a good while.

What I like is a way make an addition to the tea that I could keep in the fridge. Any suggestions.

JudiJ

What I want is probably not a reality, but I'd like to have a convenient mint flavoring for tea, hot or iced, that is not carried via simple syrup. I don't want the sugar.

Of course, with fresh mint, I can add that to the tea while it is steeping, but I don't always have fresh mint around.

I'd suggest using good dried mint, in that case. In a worst case, I'd prefer a strong variety of teabag peppermint (e.g. Pompadour, but I don't shrink from using cheaper brands and letting them steep longer) to a syrup or alcohol-based extract. Then again, I'm strange in that I like mint leaves but don't like mint in any other situation.

Michael aka "Pan"

How about making a strong "mint water" the same way you'd (or at least how I make) minted simple syrup. For syrup, I place the leaves from one stripped bunch of mint into the blender and cover with hot simple syrup. Instead, cover with hot water. Hold a towel down over the blender lid and whirl everything up. Let it steep until cool and then chill overnight. Strain out the mint detritus the next day. Make your lemonade overly strong and oversweet and then "thin" it with the minted water.

Or just thin it with a strongly brewed mint tea. It would be like a Half & Half lemonade and Iced Tea mixture which is always refreshing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

How about making a strong "mint water" the same way you'd (or at least how I make) minted simple syrup.  For syrup, I place the leaves from one stripped bunch of mint into the blender and cover with hot simple syrup.  Instead, cover with hot water.  Hold a towel down over the blender lid and whirl everything up.  Let it steep until cool and then chill overnight.  Strain out the mint detritus the next day.  Make your lemonade overly strong and oversweet and then "thin" it with the minted water.

Or just thin it with a strongly brewed mint tea.  It would be like a Half & Half lemonade and Iced Tea mixture which is always refreshing.

That's a great suggestion, Katie. Thank you.

I agree with the freezing of mint tea as cubes. It seems I searched and searched for a really strong

mint tea brand after brand and oddly enough for me anyway - the Safeway Select Peppermint tea

is the best I've found, really! I don't even need to used two bags to get the strong flavor I love.

Maybe you have this brand close to you, often it is on sale at 2/$5.00 (probably cheaper in other

regions not needing transport over by barge.) I've even taken the Celestrial Seasonings tour and

l cleared my sinuses and senses out in their peppermint room but still like Safeway better. This

helps me each morning as I awake with some nasty throat problem from my sinus/allergies.

A hui ho................. :biggrin:

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I would think an alcohol based solution would likely last longer than a water based one. Then, not only do you get to drink mint, but alcohol as well ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I agree with the freezing of mint tea as cubes. It seems I searched and searched for a really strong

mint tea brand after brand and oddly enough for me anyway - the Safeway Select Peppermint tea

is the best I've found, really! I don't even need to used two bags to get the strong flavor I love.

Maybe you have this brand close to you, often it is on sale at 2/$5.00 (probably cheaper in other

regions not needing transport over by barge.) I've even taken the Celestrial Seasonings tour and

l cleared my sinuses and senses out in their peppermint room but still like Safeway better. This

helps me each morning as I awake with some nasty throat problem from my sinus/allergies.

A hui ho................. :biggrin:

I do have Safeway available, about 35 miles away. I'll definitley look for this and give it a try. Thank you.